Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mazzy Star - Seasons of Your Day

Options
  • 28-09-2013 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

One of the things I'll probably remember 2013 by is bands awaking after a long slumber and releasing new material, namely My Bloody Valentine, Sebadoh, Boards of Canada and now Mazzy Star. Listening to this album it sounds like they've never been away from music, they sound almost exactly like they did 20 years ago. Even though this new album sounds timeless and beautiful I can tell that this is going to take a few listens to get into. It's exactly what you expect to hear from them, they haven't really evolved their slow-burning sound in any way apart from more of a country feel to some songs. The jury is still out for whether this is another great album by them or just Mazzy Star by numbers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Looking forward to getting this. I read an interview with the two of them in the Guardian. Absolutely nothing really gained from the interview, so it really brought me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

'lay myself down' and 'sparrow. are maybe tracks 8 and 9 and the hightlight of a very good typical mazzy star album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Always loved her voice must check this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

After a few listens I feel a little bit lukewarm about it. It's a good album but not a great album. It has that nice Mazzy Star sound you'd expect from them and Hope Sandoval's vocals still make me feel fuzzy inside. But parts of the album just seem to pass you by and the album seems to lack a song that's up there with the likes of 'Fade Into You', 'Halah' or 'Take Everything'. Maybe it will grow on me over time.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

After a few listens I feel a little bit lukewarm about it. It's a good album but not a great album. It has that nice Mazzy Star sound you'd expect from them and Hope Sandoval's vocals still make me feel fuzzy inside. But parts of the album just seem to pass you by and the album seems to lack a song that's up there with the likes of 'Fade Into You', 'Halah' or 'Take Everything'. Maybe it will grow on me over time.

Yeah I'm feeling the same. I'm enjoying it but nothing is really jumping out - the last track 'Flying Low' is probably my favourite and made most impact. Again though, it may take a few more and it's certainly lined up for a listen over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Yeah, take everything, what a song. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Is she finished with Colm O' Coisoig then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Yeah, take everything, what a song. :D
    If it's good enough to inspire a username then it must be a great song :) Among My Swan is probably my favourite Mazzy Star album.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

colm worked on this album....

Advertisement