Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your birthday Star

Options
  • 28-09-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Find the star that is light years in your age away from Earth

This means that the light we're seeing from that star today actually left the star around when you were born, and has taken your entire life to reach Earth.

http://outreach.jach.hawaii.edu/birthstars/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

stoneill wrote: »

This means that the light we're seeing from that star today actually left the star around when you were born, and has taken your entire life to reach Earth.

Passed this around ........

The amount of people who found it to be " cool " was amazing lol

Just another interesting way to get people to " Look Up " and appreciate and take in this wonderful universe we live in !

Thanks for the share !

Stargate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Sometimes I feel like its Deneb :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I got Pollux, which I do think is cool.

Sometimes I feel like its Deneb :pac:

Getting old mickmackey1 lol

2,600 years old ;)

I got Pollux, which I do think is cool.

Early 30's Baldy ... Yeah , cool to have Pollux .

I wont even mention mine lol:D

• Advertisement

This is me :)

Your birthday star is in the constellation Cepheus. It has the name γ (Gamma) Cephei in Johann Bayer's Uranometria star catalog. It is also called 35 Cephei in the Historia Cœlestis Britannica of John Flamsteed and Edmund Halley. It is called NS 2339+7737 in the NStars database.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

stoneill wrote: »

I really dont see the point of this. As if you check it on your actual birthday, lets say you get it exactly on the day, the day after that a star whos light left a light day further will then more closely match with your age (lets not get into how old that light actually is; from core to corona), also for every day after that. And lets not even go into lighthours, lightseconds etc. On your next birthday a year later, it will then be a star one lightyear further away. Unless you disregard the light that enters our atmosphere and gets absorbed and re-emmited as a new type of radiation

I never thought i would type this but. Its too relative :rolleyes:

slade_x wrote: »
    I really dont see the point of this. As if you check it on your actual birthday, lets say you get it exactly on the day, the day after that a star whos light left a light day further will then more closely match with your age (lets not get into how old that light actually is; from core to corona), also for every day after that. And lets not even go into lighthours, lightseconds etc. On your next birthday a year later, it will then be a star one lightyear further away. Unless you disregard the light that enters our atmosphere and gets absorbed and re-emmited as a new type of radiation

Ah slade_x , that's the technical side of things , I think you just take this for what it is ............bit of fun ;)

I dont think the OP or the site claims it to be an exact science !!

Its a bit of fun , even the site states

" Come back in a month or two and your birthday star may change, as the light from more distant stars reaches Earth. "

Regards
    Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Here's mine :pac:

Your birthday star is in the constellation Dorado. It has the name ζ (Zeta) Doradus in Johann Bayer's Uranometria star catalog. It is called NS 0505-5728 in the NStars database.

It has visual magnitude 4.68 meaning that you could just see this star with the naked eye under the best viewing conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

85 Pegasi pour moi. How might this affect astrology? Still bull5hit I presume?

:)

• Advertisement

Kersh wrote: »
    Here's mine :pac:

Your birthday star is in the constellation Dorado. It has the name ζ (Zeta) Doradus in Johann Bayer's Uranometria star catalog. It is called NS 0505-5728 in the NStars database.

It has visual magnitude 4.68 meaning that you could just see this star with the naked eye under the best viewing conditions

Hiya doing Kersh ?

Dorado for you eh?

Long time no see , How is your mirror grinding project going?

Since everybody's giving theirs , here's mine :D

Your birthday star is in the constellation Pegasus. It has the name ξ (Xi) Pegasi in Johann Bayer's Uranometria star catalog. It is also called 46 Pegasi in the Historia Cœlestis Britannica of John Flamsteed and Edmund Halley. It is called NS 2246+1210 A in the NStars database.

It has visual magnitude 4.2 meaning that you could see this star with the naked eye in good viewing conditions.

Since M31 is one of my very favourite objects in the sky i always have had a soft spot for Pegasus anyways , so happy with ξ (Xi) Pegasi .

Regards
    Stargate

Jake1 wrote: »
    This is me :)

Your birthday star is in the constellation Cepheus. It has the name γ (Gamma) Cephei in Johann Bayer's Uranometria star catalog. It is also called 35 Cephei in the Historia Cœlestis Britannica of John Flamsteed and Edmund Halley. It is called NS 2339+7737 in the NStars database.

Turns out the link is a great way to find out how old/young everyone is Jake1 :D

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

slade_x wrote: »

You are thinking about it too much. It's just a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Stargate wrote: »
    Hiya doing Kersh ?

Dorado for you eh?

Long time no see , How is your mirror grinding project going?

Slow, I have a 200 litre oil drum, and the table ready and all to do it, but havent actually started it yet.

We are re-organising the warehouse (need more space!) at the minute, so once thats out of the way ill be starting the actual grinding.

Im kind of dreading it, cos i reckon Ill make a wreck of it!!

Kersh wrote: »
    Slow, I have a 200 litre oil drum, and the table ready and all to do it, but havent actually started it yet.

We are re-organising the warehouse (need more space!) at the minute, so once thats out of the way ill be starting the actual grinding.

Im kind of dreading it, cos i reckon Ill make a wreck of it!!

I wouldn't even attempt to " clean " the mirror in my 8" Celestron Kersh never mind say grind a mirror :eek:

Looking at the pics and tutorials it looks a daunting task to say the least ;)

I think with Gremlin alongside it will be a very enjoyable learning curve .

Very very best of luck with the project and don't forget to let us know how you get on ?

Fingers crossed for ya ;)

Stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Your birthday star has the common name Vega. It is in the constellation Lyra. It has the name α (Alpha) Lyrae in Johann Bayer's Uranometria star catalog. It is also called 3 Lyrae in the Historia Cœlestis Britannica of John Flamsteed and Edmund Halley. It is called NS 1836+3847 in the NStars database.

It has visual magnitude 0.03 meaning that it is one of the brightest stars in the sky! It is marked in the center of this star chart, at celestial coordinates (J2000 equinox) :cool:

Advertisement