Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for a High Schooler!

Options
  • 28-09-2013 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello
    My name is Brian and I'm a senior in high school. I started to learn how to write code about 2 years ago watching YouTube videos (thenewboston).

I was wondering if you guys have any tips for me and what I should focus on as I finish high school. And also what I could do to impress a college. Haha! I want to become a software developer one day.

I really enjoy programming and I hope that you guys could help me out! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Never delete your codes and keep experimenting with different languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Never delete your codes and keep experimenting with different languages.

Get on github and contribute to some open source project.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

Wondering how a high schooler stumbled upon an Irish forum :D Welcome!!

As was mentioned above, keep experimenting with different languages and keep creating objectives for yourself. Sitting down and learning a language is a lot easier if you have a project objective.

Think about something you would like to be able to build that requires a certain language you are trying to learn. Take a stab at building it and learning from your code. You will make mistakes, more mistakes and more mistakes again. Keep asking questions to the dev community who will always look to help and point out where you are going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

doopa wrote: »
    Get on github and contribute to some open source project.

Thats a really bad idea for the student and the OS project, certainly reading other's code is a good idea, but not contributing.

Advertisement