Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just spotted a very big meteor!

Options
  • 27-09-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was putting the dog out just now (10.35 pm) and saw a very big fireball travelling from east to west. I am in wexford, looking north. It lasted for about 4 seconds. Very bright, I have never seen one quite as big and bright.

Anyone else just see it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Loobz wrote: »
    Hi,

I was putting the dog out just now (10.35 pm) and saw a very big fireball travelling from east to west. I am in wexford, looking north. It lasted for about 4 seconds. Very bright, I have never seen one quite as big and bright.

Anyone else just see it?

I think I saw it too! I just looked out the window that second and saw something streaking across the sky from east to west. My window faces north-east I'm in South Dublin.

Any other reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Loobz wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone else just see it?

Walking the beach in West Donegal and seen to our north east. The biggest and brightest I have ever seen. Many other smaller ones also seen in the previous half hour.
    I think I saw it too! I just looked out the window that second and saw something streaking across the sky from east to west. My window faces north-east I'm in South Dublin.

Any other reports?
    Same direction also.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Lovelyboy

I was driving to Sligo last night and saw it out of the corner of my eye. Looked north and there it was falling from the sky. It appeared greenish to me. Lasted 4-5 secs then disappeared. I actually came on boards just to check if there actually had been something there & I wasn't imagining it!

there were reports of a large meteor event in the USA last night too,seen over many states, quite the event it seems :) they are saying it was seen coast to coast

https://twitter.com/realtimwilliams

http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball_event/2013/

video here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOQ8DMCQ_ig&feature=c4-overview&list=UUOTNHKnmFJ-L2wLKTt4g4zw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BenGraham

I also saw this last night while driving between killybegs and donegal town. Lasted around 4 seconds and travelled from in a south to north direction, blueish green colour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Sounds pretty epic.
    Fireballs are probably the most awesome thin I have ever seen in my life lol. I remember seeing one before around 4 or 5 am, the smoke trail and the burning glow were there for what felt like 7-10 seconds.

Another time I was parked up outside talking to a few friends when it literally changed from night to day time on one side of the car, when we all looked we could see the streak left behind from what was a very nice fireball :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Interesting to hear about recent fireballs. Along with the one spotted over Ireland last night, there was also one seen by many people in the US.

From AMS :

Sep
    New Fireball spotted in Midwest

By Vincent Perlerin, in Fireball Logs, Fireball Sightings

The AMS has received nearly 390 reports about a new large fireball – September 27th around 11:33 pm local time. Witnesses from Georgia, Ilinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin and West Virginia reported a bright light moving across the night sky.

Surprisingly, a similar event has been spotted yesterday approximately over the same area – more info here. We are currently investigating these phenomena.

And as they say above, another large fireball was seen there only the day before :

Sep
    Large fireball spotted in Midwest

By Mike Hankey, in Fireball Logs, Fireball Sightings

The AMS has received nearly 700 reports of a large fireball this morning September 26th around 7:05 am local time. Witnesses from Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri and Wisconsin reported a bright light moving across the morning sky.

And this was before last night's fireball :
    This September has been a busy month for fireballs in the USA, the latest marking the 13th significant event so far this month, more than any other month in the history of the online AMS Fireball Report. (A significant event is defined as a fireball event reported by 25 or more witnesses).

I wonder are these part of a larger object that has broken up and we are passing through the debris at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Interesting to hear about recent fireballs. Along with the one spotted over Ireland last night, there was also one seen by many people in the US.

From AMS :

And as they say above, another large fireball was seen there only the day before :

And this was before last night's fireball :

I wonder are these part of a larger object that has broken up and we are passing through the debris at the moment?

Definitely seem's that way. Hope it clears up a bit later, il be checking for some remnants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Fabo

At around 10pm or 10.30pm last night (Fri 27/09/13), I was driving slowly from Navan to Cavan on the old road and was looking sporadically up in the sky as it was a pretty clear night. I glanced out at the drivers side window and saw a large fireball in the sky. This was the biggest one I ever seen , about 6 times the brightness of Venus. It was green in colour - emerald green. It lasted for about a second or two. It was travelling the same direction as me - north.

Good to see I wasnt dreaming !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Another fireball seen in the US tonight. 3rd night in a row it seems. This time the reports are in the southeastern states.

http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball_event/2013/2158

• Advertisement
Advertisement