Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emergency tax/P45 issue

• 27-09-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered previously. I started a new job 2 months ago and had received my P45 from my previous employer which I submitted to my new employer. However I noticed today when reviewing my latest payslip that it appears I am on emergency tax. When I queried this with the HR department of my new employer they said it was the responsibility of my last employer to send the P45 to Revenue.

My main concern is what do I need to do to get removed from the emergency tax basis? And is what the HR dept. telling me correct? I would have thought that submitting the P45 to them is all that would have been necessary to begin with. Any advice to shed some light on this would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Get your employers registered number, or even better if they are a biggish employer, just ring the revenue with your PPS no., your employers name and address and then the revenue will update your details and send on your tax credit information to your employer.

Ask your employer to check ROS after you've done this (wait about three days) and they should have everything they need.

Also check if HR actually do payroll, some companies seperate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 Ginger Ninja

Thanks Stheno,

I did ring Revenue today with that information, and they said to call them a few days after the P45 had been sent and ask to have the week 1 basis ended. They didn't mention anything about issuing a tax cert. It is a big company and I am fairly sure payroll is outsourced which is why I had to go through HR. I contacted my previous employer and asked them to send the P45 to revenue, but their payroll person is on holidays so it is unlikely it will be done until he returns. I guess my main confusion is the need to have my previous employer send the P45 to Revenue if it already has gone to my new employer. Do previous employers usually send P45s to Revenue as a matter of course? My knowledge of payroll is vague!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks Stheno,
    Do previous employers usually send P45s to Revenue as a matter of course? My knowledge of payroll is vague!

Normally if you have a P45 that should be enough for a new employer to notify revenue and get your credits information etc.

All sounds a bit strange tbh, anytime I've moved job in the same tax year, I just gave new employer my P45 or if I didn't want to I did what I mentioned above.

Did revenue say if they had recieved it, or check for the details they had?

They haven't received it. I was surprised myself as any other job I've had I've simply given the P45 to my new employer and never had any issues. The HR department were very clear that it wasn't their responsibility to send the P45 and that they would always send it on behalf of employees leaving the company. Could I just ask Revenue to send a tax cert without them having received the P45? Or if I could get a copy of it could I just send it to them myself? Thanks again for your help.

They haven't received it. I was surprised myself as any other job I've had I've simply given the P45 to my new employer and never had any issues. The HR department were very clear that it wasn't their responsibility to send the P45 and that they would always send it on behalf of employees leaving the company. Could I just ask Revenue to send a tax cert without them having received the P45? Or if I could get a copy of it could I just send it to them myself? Thanks again for your help.

Give the revenue another call. If (fingers crossed) you get a nice person there, ask them what details they currently have for you. If they still have you down as with your old employer, advise them this has changed and ask if they can update your details and send you and your new employer a copy of your tax cert.

I suspect the issue here is payroll being outsourced, you could ask HR for payroll contact details so you can forward on your cert?

• Advertisement

Perfect, they should have changed to the new details as I gave them the new info today. I'll try them again on Monday for a tax cert. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Perfect, they should have changed to the new details as I gave them the new info today. I'll try them again on Monday for a tax cert. Thanks again

Check you get a cumulative tax cert ..........Because it is getting late in tax year , and possible that the tax office will issue you a ''week 1 '' tax cert .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks Stheno,

I did ring Revenue today with that information, and they said to call them a few days after the P45 had been sent and ask to have the week 1 basis ended. They didn't mention anything about issuing a tax cert.

Sounds like Revenue already have recorded your new job, and have issued a certificate of tax credits for you. But it's on a "week one basis" which means that when your employer calculates your tax each pay, they assume you have earned that amount every pay-period since the start of the year, and don't look at what previous tax you've paid. Net effect: you won't get your emergency tax back yet, but your tax each week will go down.

Your new employer is wrong: they are required to send any P45s (or P46a's) they get to Revenue. But you're not likely to succeed in educating them. So focus on getting a copy of the P45 from your old employer, and sending a copy of that direct to Revenue yourself.

After that happens (allow say 2-3 weeks) ring Revenue to check if they got it, and tell them you were told to ask to be taken off Week 1. That should cause your overpaid tax to be paid back to you in the next payrun.

For future reference, always take a copy of documents like P45s before giving them to a new employer.

Advertisement