Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Proper car wash, Dublin?

Options
  • 27-09-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

(I live in an apartment block, and that's why I can't wash it myself.)

What I'm looking for is preferably a wash-it-yourself or a decent handwash. Only exterior, as I love keeping it like new inside by myself :D

At the moment I take it to CWS Valet Centre who does wash it by hand and costs a descent €8. However there are downsides:
    • always leaves a couple of unwashed spots
    • drying cloths are not as clean as I'd prefer them to be (stains on windows)
    • opening hours are unstable..

For €8 someone might say it'is ok, but I'm looking for something better! Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I've heard that Janelle Speedwash over at Clearwater in Finglas are quite good. I've not used them myself though.
    I usually use the jetwash at Tesco or one or two others further out on the northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Wash it yourself.
    I live in an apartment building and manage to wash my car using two buckets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Dord wrote: »
    I've heard that Janelle Speedwash over at Clearwater in Finglas are quite good. I've not used them myself though.
    I usually use the jetwash at Tesco or one or two others further out on the northside.
    Could you give some more info on the location please?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I use SpeedySteam in Bewleys Leopardstown carpark. Really nice guy - I've got to know him now and he looks after me, I get both my car and motorbike bike done. If you want a normal brush wash you can find one cheaper but for a proper job using steam I have not found any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If you are prepared to wash it yourself (even in an apartment building), consider using a rinseless car wash like Optimum No Rinse. It isn't a waterless wash product. With ONR you use a bucket of water (to wash safely), but it requires no rinsing. Then dry off each panel as you wash with a slightly pre-dampened microfibre drying towel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15cMHR0a0Ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Zascar wrote: »
    I use SpeedySteam in Bewleys Leopardstown carpark. Really nice guy - I've got to know him now and he looks after me, I get both my car and motorbike bike done. If you want a normal brush wash you can find one cheaper but for a proper job using steam I have not found any better.

Oh the humanity :(.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hal1 wrote: »
    Oh the humanity :(.

I know, I know! :) The only reason I said it is that I pay €13 for a basic wash with SpeedySteam - but I know many people will come back saying "I can get it done for €8 down the road bla bla bla" - I'm sure you can but it will be a horrible brush wash. I like the steam wash as it lifts the dirt right off - they use microfibe cloths etc and also do a few nice little extras like windows, door sills, tyre dressing etc. Much better value imo. If all someone wanted was the mud taken off the car they can go through the whirly machine for a €6 or use the brush themselves - but I would not recommend it for your pain't sake!

Thank you for the replies guys. Actually I had something like self-wash in mind, and I recall a very good one I've seen was in The Netherlands - which had no time limits and a great price of €4.
    Zascar wrote: »
    This looks interesting however it's kinda far for me..
    TomMc wrote: »
    If you are prepared to wash it yourself (even in an apartment building), consider using a rinseless car wash like Optimum No Rinse. It isn't a waterless wash product. With ONR you use a bucket of water (to wash safely), but it requires no rinsing. Then dry off each panel as you wash with a slightly pre-dampened microfibre drying towel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15cMHR0a0Ok
    This is actually interesting. Where do you buy this ONR?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I don‘t know if there is such a thing as a proper car wash. Most petrol station washes use recycled water which means you are more likely to get plenty of stains as the water is usually not as clean as fresh water.

The brush also can sometimes be covered in grit from the previous customer which means pleanty of scratches.

The only proper wash imo is at home using a mit with two buckets of water(One for rinsing the dirt of mitt and one for cleaning the car) and a fresh water hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I sometimes use the TigerWash in On-The-Run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I sometimes use the TigerWash in On-The-Run.
    You poor soul :(

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Taylor365 wrote: »
    You poor soul :(

I wash it myself most of the time, but just for those times that I need it done quickly :D

Are they bad in comparison to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

I've used them once. (Janelle speedwash)
    They are in the Clearwater shopping centre on the N2 north road.
    They use a brush so I did not go back
    Elite Auto Clean on upper Dominic street, hand wash (2 bucket), hand dry, wax and tyre dress for 10 euros.
    been using them for years and they are excellent.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=53.354679,-6.272094&hl=en&sll=53.354633,-6.272092&sspn=0.0019,0.003074&t=h&mra=mr&z=18

ang3l wrote: »
    Could you give some more info on the location please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Elite Auto Clean on upper Dominic street, hand wash (2 bucket), hand dry, wax and tyre dress for 10 euros.
    Might pay them a visit over the weekend. Do they take long?

opens at ten on a Saturday not open Sunday
    Be there at 9:45 and you will be first in the que.
    Its used quite a lot (taxis and those of us with OCD when it comes to a clean car) so sometimes you will have to wait.
    Overall expect 30 minutes to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Those brush washes are utter useless for washing a car. They do more harm to a cars paint. See pic showing swirl marks from using those machines. Follow Johnboy's advice and you can't go wrong.

bad_scratches01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

opens at ten on a Saturday not open Sunday
    Be there at 9:45 and you will be first in the que.
    Its used quite a lot (taxis and those of us with OCD when it comes to a clean car) so sometimes you will have to wait.
    Overall expect 30 minutes to complete.

Guys Ian in Elite is in the process of moving, so they are closed at the moment as far as I am aware

bf wrote: »
    Guys Ian in Elite is in the process of moving, so they are closed at the moment as far as I am aware

Do you know where he is going to?
    Haven't spoke to him in 4 weeks.

A good few seems to be moving/closing. The guy in the basement carpark in Carrickmines is gone. I heard they kept raising the rent to crazy levels and forced him out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Anywhere on the northside (of Dublin) that does a decent wash and wax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

This is actually interesting. Where do you buy this ONR?
    Online only. http://www.detailingireland.com/rinseless-wash.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I've used

https://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=53.354679,-6.272094&hl=en&sll=53.354633,-6.272092&sspn=0.0019,0.003074&t=h&mra=mr&z=18

Was in there today, looks like it's gone. Asked garage beside it and he just shrugged his shoulders.

mad m wrote: »
    Was in there today, looks like it's gone. Asked garage beside it and he just shrugged his shoulders.

dammit! and i felt we got something good :P

google maps, however, has something.. http://j.mp/1a5LiZu

mad m wrote: »

you are right. i spoke to him today, he is packing up. he is waiting to get confirmation on a new premises in blanch. he should be up and running again by the end of November. Ill post something once i hear from him.

you are right. i spoke to him today, he is packing up. he is waiting to get confirmation on a new premises in blanch. he should be up and running again by the end of November. Ill post something once i hear from him.

do we have his new location?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

According to their website, the address is Unit 8, Orion Business Campus, Northwest Business Park, Ballycoolin, Dublin 15

Today I tried the €8 at Posh Wash and they guys are pretty quick and very good!

http 4sq.com/1iv5Kd9 (I cannot post a link because I am a new user (?))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Elite auto clean are meant to be the best in Dublin.

Otherwise on Nutgrave Avenue in Dublin 14 there's a handwash place, €8 and they do a briliant job. Wouldnt be as good as Elite though.

Elite auto clean are meant to be the best in Dublin.

Otherwise on Nutgrave Avenue in Dublin 14 there's a handwash place, €8 and they do a briliant job. Wouldnt be as good as Elite though.

what are the prices for elite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭tk123

what are the prices for elite?

http://eliteautoclean.com/detailing-services/

I was in the other week - my dog had jumped up on the car and scratched the driver side doors so driving me mad to have to see it every time I got in (I would have left it if it was the passenger side lol :pac:). Quick snow foam wash and polished away most of the scratches - €30! Will definitely be going back for a proper wash!

If you don't know Rosemount and are driving in from Ballycoolin Road you basically drive in follow the road to the left (they're be arrows for Orion) when you see the first sign for Orion with yellow section of map (the different parks are colour coded) on it pass it and take the second left instead to save driving around in a circle, left again and then it's at the front of the units on your right

Advertisement