Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Theatre Festival 2013

Options
  • 27-09-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I was at Threepenny Opera in the Gate last night; I had forgotten it would be a preview and that the official 1st night is next Tuesday.

The standard of performance and production was IMHO superb, but they need to deal with some minor issues.

The main one was timing. This is a long performance - from 7.30 to 10.45 with 1 interval, which did not come until 9.20, by which time most people were gasping for a break. Unsurprisingly, the second part was clearly enjoyed more than the first.

The programme on sale gave no info on intervals or the length of the performance. That may be corrected by next Tuesday.

Hopefully they can bring the interval forward by at least 1 scene, which I do not think would damage the impact of the drama in the least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I meant to make further postings on this thread but was too busy, and the same seems to be true of all other theatregoers on boards.ie, as no other posts connected with DTF 13 appeared.

Anyway just for the record I found Desire under the elms, Ths critics and the Rape of Lucrece all well worth the time and money.

A well-run, unpretentious event which was deservedly well attended. My main suggestion would be for the organisers to drop the ghastly Gaiety theatre (which I managed to avoid this year) and look for a more comfortable alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Loved 'The Hanging Gardens', Abbey. 'The Critics' last Fri in the Culture box and the Ark, brilliant and innovative and an absolute hoot in parts . Wonderful and again innovative production of the Scottish play called 'The Events' in the Peacock, with the fab parents choir of St Mary's college, Rathmines. Seriously underwhelmed by 'The Bruising Clouds', Fishambles new Irish writing offering in the Civic in Tallaght.

Totally agree with your comments re the Gaiety, grand for a panto but completely unsuitable for serious drama, gave up on it long ago.

Advertisement