Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whopper tuna caught off Mullaghmore

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It's illegal to land & kill a tuna here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Wow I didn't know that! How come?

I was thinking that fish must be worth a few grand until I read your post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Guest0000

For that fish to realise anything near its true valve, it needs to be dressed and put on ice, right after coming on board, not hanging on a dock side drippingin blood, hours after capture,

Fantastic fish no doubt, with the family photo taken, would a tag not of been more in order, and track your fish back on its migratory journey...

Hope his paperwork in in order....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Guest0000 wrote: »
    For that fish to realise anything near its true valve, it needs to be dressed and put on ice, right after coming on board, not hanging on a dock side drippingin blood, hours after capture,

Fantastic fish no doubt, with the family photo taken, would a tag not of been more in order, and track your fish back on its migratory journey...

Hope his paperwork in in order....

About 2 years ago the Irish record tuna was caught in the same neck of the woods. The owner of a local restaurant bought it at auction, got a load of free publicity with a front page story on the local paper. The tuna was no more after only a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Fcuk me that's some sardine :)
    I wouldn't mind a steak off it. Always wondered how fish that size are killed.
    Like with a trout for instance I use a priest i made from a old brush handle wrapped in a small piece if metal and sellotape or if I Havint I'd bang it off a rock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I asked a sea fisheries officer about this today, and he said it wasn't illegal, but it might be if the fish was sold for profit. The commercial industry sometimes catch them in bycatch, and are permitted to land them. For what its worth, the same boat hooked 2 more tuna today and boated one, which was tagged and released.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

Fcuk me that's some sardine :)
    I wouldn't mind a steak off it. Always wondered how fish that size are killed.
    Like with a trout for instance I use a priest i made from a old brush handle wrapped in a small piece if metal and sellotape or if I Havint I'd bang it off a rock.
    Old school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

A fish like that is worth serious money if kept right. The brain has to be killed by an incision on the forehead and a wire inserted in the hole and filed down through the central nervous system. in such case the heart continues to work as normal and prevents the release of adrenalin into the flesh. End result perfect shashimi! Yum! Otherwise it's just Tuna steaks.

From Sea Fisheries Protection Authority website

http://sfpa.oghamtech.ie/News/TabId/167/ArtMID/538/ArticleID/6/SFPA-advise-anglers-of-tag-and-release-system-following-fish-death-.aspx
    The Sea Fisheries Protection Authority are advising anglers to be aware of the tag and release system for blue fin tuna that have been spotted off the coast of Donegal Bay in the past number of weeks.

This follows one of the fish dying after it was brought to the coast at Mullaghmore in Co. Sligo last week.

The large ocean going fish are rarely seen off the Irish coast and due to this, it is recommended that they are tagged and released as there is no allowance under the EU quota system for the fish to be landed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The use of "advising" and "recommended" render it all a moot point.

• Advertisement

...and the fact that there is "no allowance for the fish to be landed" makes it plain as mud that it shouldn't have happened.

Would agree though that their use of language is a bit wishy washy.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

nice fish

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

Typical Ireland for ya - A fish caught in Irish waters by a local fisherman and he "probably can't sell it " I am sure a local hotel or restaurant could have found a use for it.

In these challenging and difficult times Imagine the visitors that it would bring to Mullaghmore if it was in the news papers, radio etc.

You soon will need a licence to ****e the way this country is going!

ROSSKI wrote: »

Can I pay by month? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

ROSSKI wrote: »
    Typical Ireland for ya - A fish caught in Irish waters by a local fisherman and he "probably can't sell it " I am sure a local hotel or restaurant could have found a use for it.

In these challenging and difficult times Imagine the visitors that it would bring to Mullaghmore if it was in the news papers, radio etc.

let me guess - your fav method of angling has to be...... trolling:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Can I pay by month? :)

If it's pay by weight you're fcuked! :p:D

Zzippy wrote: »
    If it's pay by weight you're fcuked! :p:D

Have to relax on the protein so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

Have to relax on the protein so :)
    and if its talking ****e your really fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

dardevle wrote: »
    let me guess - your fav method of angling has to be...... trolling:rolleyes:

No I prefer Dynamite ;-) there's a wink for ya to cheer u up !

• Advertisement
Advertisement