Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am looking for an agency to sell advertising for my website. Where do I start?

Options
  • 27-09-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

First off, what agencies are there that do this kind of work, and what do they charge? Do they only deal with national clients or could they sell advertising to local businesses in my area. The site is relatively large, 50k unique users a month, 200-250k page views a month. I think I could double this if I had money to market the site, but right now nothing is coming in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Why not use Google Adds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You're probably somewhere in the range of €1000/month +/-50% depending on your site topic, etc. An agency, if you could find them to do this, would be charging a significant chunk of that just to sell it off. Have you considered selling them yourself, or looking at alternative revenue models?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Le Chef

amen wrote: »
    Why not use Google Adds ?

That's something we 're considering. We are currently using a pretty old site that Google Ads rejected, but we will have a new Wordpress coming out next month that will be Google-friendly.

I was also under the impression that Google Ads pay very little...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Le Chef

Trojan wrote: »
    You're probably somewhere in the range of €1000/month +/-50% depending on your site topic, etc. An agency, if you could find them to do this, would be charging a significant chunk of that just to sell it off. Have you considered selling them yourself, or looking at alternative revenue models?

I was hoping for figures like that. It's a regional news site, so I think a leaderboard could take in 1000-1200/month. I'm not much of a salesman so I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing. Do many Irish companies use BuySellAds.com? I'm looking at that as a possible option as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

You can try http://buysellads.com ! Just register, and list the available zones and piece of code on your website and see the money and ads coming in automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

If you have a site that Google accepts then I would suggest going with that. The returns from Google might not be brilliant but its simple and you'll start earning straight away. If, after a few months you're not happy with the earnings then you should try selling ad space yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Be careful with how you place the ads on the site, and what type of ads they are. If your visitors are used to a nice & clean ad-free website and suddenly it's covered in annoying flashing banners or pop ups that have nothing to do with your subject matter then they might be turned off from coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Lechef - can you tell us the site so we can visit and maybe boost your figures :D - I'm genuinely curious about your local news site - would it be possible for you to PM me if you dont put it on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

Cianos wrote: »
    Be careful with how you place the ads on the site, and what type of ads they are. If your visitors are used to a nice & clean ad-free website and suddenly it's covered in annoying flashing banners or pop ups that have nothing to do with your subject matter then they might be turned off from coming back.

Very good point. For example if its a news website and you end up using Adsense then I highly recommend that you disable the likes of ads for dating site etc. from appearing on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Twix44

sounds like you should use Google AdSense. Like the guys say, tailor it to your audience and disable the gaudy ads. With that amount of traffic coming to your site you could make a tidy sum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement