Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Size of Gas Boiler ?

Options
  • 27-09-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

My son has bought a detached 3 bedroom house, about 35 years old. Double glazed, about 6 inches of insulation in the attic, probably no insulation in the walls. BER rating D3.

The house area is modest - at a guess, 1250 sq ft.

The plumber intends to install a 35,000 BTU gas combi boiler. Is this adequate? Seems a bit small to me.

What would you recommend ? Thanks, in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Unless im thinking wrong about house size that seems huge. 24 or 28 would be plenty.

But he could be going bigger for hw output.

Over 35kw is nearly commercial outputs

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Sorry - my fault - I should have said 35,000 BTU - I have edited it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

35,000 = 10.26 kw
    Way to small I'd recommend 26 kw min.

10kw = small/ tiny granny flat

Something wrong somewhere !

I reckon he ment a 35kw boiler, especialy as its a combi . 35 would be right in my humble opinion.

To convert BTU to KW devide by 3412

Kw to BTU X 3412

Poulgorm wrote: »
    My son has bought a detached 3 bedroom house, about 35 years old. Double glazed, about 6 inches of insulation in the attic, probably no insulation in the walls. BER rating D3.

The house area is modest - at a guess, 1250 sq ft.

The plumber intends to install a 35,000 BTU gas combi boiler. Is this adequate? Seems a bit small to me.

What would you recommend ? Thanks, in advance

As above, I think you may have made a mistake as i'v never seen a 35,000 BTU combi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Your going to need at least a 30kW combi for a house that size. Especially if it has a bath and an ensuite too.

I put in a 35kW in my own house in May, We use the bath a good bit and it fills it in no time.

we also have an ensuite. I would have gone for a 30 nut I got the 35 for free:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement