Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toilet keeps running

Options
  • 26-09-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

i have a button type flush on my cistern but a small flow of water is running constant into my toilet what could be the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

CHRISGNO1 wrote: »
    i have a button type flush on my cistern but a small flow of water is running constant into my toilet what could be the problem?

It could be a couple of things , either the syphon isn't sealing properly , could be a worn washer where the syphon sits down or something trapped under it .
    It could also be the ballvalve isn't shutting off fully causing the internal overflow to activate , it might need to be adjusted to lower the water level or might need to be replaced , lift the lid and check is it shutting off or overflowing

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CHRISGNO1

you mean overflowing down the pipe in the centre? its not doing that must be one of the other things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Most push button syphons can be removed by turning them 1/4 turn anticlockwise , you might be able to see what the issue is when removed , no need to turn water off doing this either , if yours is the one with a cable connecting it to the button they are crap and sometimes the cable does not allow the syphon to drop down fully causing what your describing , the only cure for this is to replace the syphon for a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CHRISGNO1

ah right thanks ill have a wee look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

First thing to try is open the lid, hold down the syphon so physically stop it overflowing into the toilet. Allow it to fill, still holding it down. Once full, release & see if this has cured it. If not, then as the guys said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement