Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House prices in Balbriggan

Options
  • 26-09-2013 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I need to sell my house in Balbriggan for 130,000. Any less than this, then I just cant do it (negative equity). Is this realistic? It's a three story, three bed, off street parking. Built in 2003. It's in the new part of Balbriggan facing the green in front of the Moylaragh estate.

Good condition. Would need repainting and its got carpet that someone buying may wish to replace.

Slightly mad question, given I can't put a picture up but anyway...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

emmetfahy wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I need to sell my house in Balbriggan for 130,000. Any less than this, then I just cant do it (negative equity). Is this realistic? It's a three story, three bed, off street parking. Built in 2003. It's in the new part of Balbriggan facing the green in front of the Moylaragh estate.

Good condition. Would need repainting and its got carpet that someone buying may wish to replace.

Slightly mad question, given I can't put a picture up but anyway...

Whats the price of similar houses in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Depends on demand. Its on a railline which is good but the are other areas closer to town which are the same price which is bad.
    Its one of those areas thats just that bit too far from Dublin for me. You may as well be on the railline and live somewhere like Mullingar. I know two people that lived there and didnt like it so it also depends on the area and neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭emmetfahy

A bit all over the place.
    My issue is that no recent examples of my style house, a three story, have sold in last year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sounds like you are in the same estate as me.
    You might have issues selling due to the fire issues and the dampness in some of the frames.
    All being well with the house i don't think 130k is way too far off.
    The rental market in the area is brilliant.

I disagree with it being anything like going out as far as Mullingar,it is on the Dublin commuter line and about 30km to the city centre.
    Mullingar is 80km from Dublin.

Thanks for all the responses. Are there fire issues? Do you have any specifics?

No dampness in the house as far as I know

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

in the structure not internally.
    you might not be in the same estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Sounds like you are in the same estate as me.
    You might have issues selling due to the fire issues and the dampness in some of the frames.
    All being well with the house i don't think 130k is way too far off.
    The rental market in the area is brilliant.

I disagree with it being anything like going out as far as Mullingar,it is on the Dublin commuter line and about 30km to the city centre.
    Mullingar is 80km from Dublin.

I work with someone that commutes from there and they told me it's 45 minutes and Mullingar is about an hour. vov

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Train wise it might be. More trains though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 abarna

i heard lots of buglaries in Moylaragh estate. Is that true?. even few estate agents told me over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My OH used to live in Moylaragh when she worked in Dublin, and any time I visited I always thought that Moylaragh would some day be a rough/ghetto type area.

It was already starting to look rough in parts back then, maybe about 4 or so years ago, and they were loads of properties for sale, but have no idea what its like now.

I would not describe it as "a rough/ghetto type place" but it did look a little run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I don't know if the €130k price is realistic, but one certain reality is that houses in that part of Balbriggan tend to be slow to sell. Unlike other parts of the town, community spirit is lacking and a lot of the properties are rented out meaning that from month to month your neighbours are liable to change

OP if you are serious about selling I would say that you will need to invest time and money in the property to give it an edge. It's not enough to say it needs to be painted, *you* need to paint it. Same goes for the carpet. You don't need to spend a fortune, but a general spruce up and overhaul of the place will make a big difference. You need to show that you love this house and get someone else enthusiastic about it. Avoid very personal design choices but yet show it as a loved home. If you get the balance right you can appeal to both owner occupiers and buy to let markets

Generally Balbriggan isn't a bad spot for city commuters, in addition to the train there is a great bus eireann service add also a private service. It's also not bad for anyone working in the airport. So there is potential to sell but it is limited and you will undoubtedly need to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would not describe it as "a rough/ghetto type place" but it did look a little run down.

I said it looked like the place that would some day in the future become very rough.

A little run down now doesn't be long changing to rough! Its run down because the residents obviously don't have much pride in their area, probably due to the high number of rentals. I tend to find any rental estates will not be kept as nicely as one with owner occupiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Its typical of any estate anywhere that has a lot of tenants, things will usually start to get run down. Balbriggan also has a massive amount of immigrants and that is something that would put a huge number of people of living there.

As has been said before, you are very unlikely to sell if you do not make the effort yourself to tidy the place up. You already have so much going against you, dont add to it by not doing small jobs which can give you the edge over other properties in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

i dont want to be a downer, but your chances are not good. you can ignore the asking prices, it is selling prices that matter. the fact is, brand new 3 beds were being sold until very recently for 120k at the end of hamlets lane. and while balbriggan is a fine place to live, it is a bit out of dublin and the price increases in the city have not pushed out that far. look at drogheda, ireland biggest town only 10 mins up the road and a nice 3 bed is available for 115k...

Advertisement