Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People you care about who smoke.

• 25-09-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My dad has smoked since he was a young man, but now that he is in his fifties i fear that the affects of the nicotine/tobacco chemical will be bad for him from now in his life.

I have talked t him about it but he says that he is too old to stop. I care for him and wonder what i can do to make him stop. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

OP you'd be better off posting here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=871

Perhaps a kind mod might send it over that way for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Moved from Smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

rener wrote: »
    My dad has smoked since he was a young man, but now that he is in his fifties i fear that the affects of the nicotine/tobacco chemical will be bad for him from now in his life.

I have talked t him about it but he says that he is too old to stop. I care for him and wonder what i can do to make him stop. :(

The effects of nicotine aren't much, it's just an addictive stimulant like caffeine. The preferred delivery method of smoking is what makes people sick or kills them.

You will never ever ever make somebody stop. If somebody's determined to smoke, they will, and no amount of nagging will stop them. Indeed it could bolster their stubbornness.

Is he sceptical of electronic cigarettes? As long as he can cope with using a cigar-sized battery they're the best way to quit cigs without having to quit the habit or the nicotine.
    Win/Win for the both of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Win/Win for the both of you.

And he'll be too busy rebuilding coils to nag you anymore :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rener

Thanks very much for all the replies. I think I nag him more than him:p

I don't know about the electronic cigarettes. He smokes with friends and they make fun of him if he used some equipment. I will google the products that are in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

rener wrote: »
    He smokes with friends and they make fun of him if he used some equipment.

He's in his fifties and he cares what people think?

Tell him he gets to be the trend-setter of his clique, those friends'll be the minority someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rener

grindle wrote: »
    He's in his fifties and he cares what people think?

Tell him he gets to be the trend-setter of his clique, those friends'll be the minority someday.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

My wife is in her early fifties now and has smoked all her life (started age 5:eek:) No amount of persuading will make her give them up. She smokes 30/day as far as I know could be more definitely not less. She has sore feet but blames cheap shoes and she is crippled after a nights sleep but blames the mattress. Herself and her sister who also smokes have the same ailments, her sister purchased a pair of shoes for a recent wedding afters and couldn't figure out how her feet were hurting after as she paid €100 for them. When I tell her it could be poor blood circulation from smoking she goes mad as she believes smoking only affects your lungs and because she hasn't a smokers cough she thinks she's immune :( even though I have witnessed her coughing some mornings. Anyone any ideas how to get her to quit?

Advertisement