Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contribute to a guide to 4th year Computer Science

Options
  • 25-09-2013 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    I am currently a fourth year computer science student.
    I am looking for anyone who has finished 4th year Computer Science to write a guide.
    The guide could contain modules breakdown, workload , How to make a first Class and any other relevant information.
    Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Good idea. You could study hard, get the first and write it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 logic101

Good idea. You could study hard, get the first and write it yourself.
    I could learn from the experiences of those who have gone before me. Do you have something that you could share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

There's nothing really special about 4th year in particular, is what I found. If you have been able to get a first in the last three years you can get one that year. You should have figured all this out by now in terms of workload. If you want to name some of the modules I might remember my experiences of them.

Bear in mind too that 4th year is completely different now to how it was in the recent past- you now do a 6 month internship in the second semester as opposed to classes.

There's nothing really special about 4th year in particular, is what I found. If you have been able to get a first in the last three years you can get one that year. You should have figured all this out by now in terms of workload. If you want to name some of the modules I might remember my experiences of them.

Bear in mind too that 4th year is completely different now to how it was in the recent past- you now do a 6 month internship in the second semester as opposed to classes.
    Thanks mate..
    A few modules you can give an insight on are;
    1.Computer vision
    2.Advanced Computer architecture
    3.Mobile communication
    4.Distributed systems
    5.Human factors
    6.Computer graphics

Thanks for your insight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

I suspect that my experience is too outdated to be of any use. My fourth year consisted of 2 semesters of lectures and the third semester for studying.
    Suggestions for what they're worth.
    • While your project may be very interesting, don't focus on it to the detriment of studying for your subjects. If it's only worth 20% of your final grade, then only give it 20% of your attention. I didn't and would have liked more time for studying and prep.
    • Get to know all of your lecturers and ask them for their opinion/advice on something during the year. It's more important that they know who you are when it comes to marking the paper.
    • Usually in your project you have some scope for the technologies used. Better to use a technology that's in demand in the jobs world than something that's academic in nature. It'll work wonders for your CV.
    • If you know your stuff that's on the course you'll get a II.I. If you can include extra stuff that you've studied yourself you'll get a I.
    • Getting an unconditional job offer before your exams can be (very) detrimental to your final grade.
    • Most employers wouldn't differentiate between a I and a II.I so don't overdo it and waste your last opportunity to sit out at the cricket pitch in sunny May. The grad who's probably doing best from our year "only" got a II.II.
    • Keep in touch with your class afterwards, it'll be more valuable to you in 10 years time than the grade you got, the grade you get will more than likely be irrelevant to everyone except you 4 years after graduation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I just finished 4th year so I'll give you my 2c. I did the internship route so I didn't do a final project and I can't comment on that. Fourth year on a whole was easier than other years to be honest because it is essentially one semester. You don't have to sit an exam 4 months after you finish a topic like in other years. I got a II.I

1.Computer vision
    An enjoyable module as there is a lot of problem solving and hands on labs with real world examples. I would recommend it. Some of the topics towards the end can get complicated and abstract, to the degree that I skipped one topic as it was taking up too much time to get my head around come exam time. SIFT I think it was called. The class is huge because its shared with various courses including masters students, this didn't hinder the class for me though. Workload can seem somewhat high at times because the assignments can be tough.

Split into two parts. In depth look at VM's and how they work. Interesting enough with constant tutorials to keep you engaged. Large project in the second half which I never got finished. I can't even remember what it was about right now... medium workload overall

3.Mobile communication
    I didn't do this

4.Distributed systems
    Large project and easy exam. I literally waffled my way through exam with a vague understanding of a few topics and did well. I struggled with the project. Great lecturer but the material wasn't all that interesting. It is very broad. The surface is scratched of a multitude of technologies which frankly I still don't know anything about, hence the waffly exam.

5.Human factors
    Compulsory module that most people would probably choose not to do. This was the class that everyone skipped. It got a lot more flak than it deserved imo. It is all about how to design computers systems to interact with people. The notes/slides are poor so I would recommend attending. I found some of the stuff interesting. Like how and why it became standard for a mouse to be used with a PC. There is a large group project, do it with your friends if you can. Nothing worse than absentee group members. Do not over think the project. It can be quite easy but people seem to get flustered in how to get it done perfectly in a subject that is imperfect by nature.

6.Computer graphics
    Horrendous lecturer. There were times when I asked a question and was more confused after asking. The lectures don't go at the same pace as the labs. They feel separate. You learn about modelling towards the end of the lectures but that was covered in the second lab. The labs are purely for the project and the lecturers are purely for the exam. This is shared with engineers and it feels more like an engineering subject. For example, there were some physics in it regarding to how light bounces off objects and formulas to match. Formulas for bezier curves? Awful. I just don't care for that kind of stuff to be honest. While I did enjoy making the game to an extent, it was too much work which you are largely on your own for. The game is as hard as you make it. I made something simple and it still drove me nuts at times. I enjoy video games and I got suckered in at the prospects of using OpenGL. I wouldn't do this again if I had the choice, but it was nice to cross something off the list.

Do you not do Entrepreneurship?

josip wrote: »
    I suspect that my experience is too outdated to be of any use. My fourth year consisted of 2 semesters of lectures and the third semester for studying.
    Suggestions for what they're worth.
    • While your project may be very interesting, don't focus on it to the detriment of studying for your subjects. If it's only worth 20% of your final grade, then only give it 20% of your attention. I didn't and would have liked more time for studying and prep.
    • Get to know all of your lecturers and ask them for their opinion/advice on something during the year. It's more important that they know who you are when it comes to marking the paper.
    • Usually in your project you have some scope for the technologies used. Better to use a technology that's in demand in the jobs world than something that's academic in nature. It'll work wonders for your CV.
    • If you know your stuff that's on the course you'll get a II.I. If you can include extra stuff that you've studied yourself you'll get a I.
    • Getting an unconditional job offer before your exams can be (very) detrimental to your final grade.
    • Most employers wouldn't differentiate between a I and a II.I so don't overdo it and waste your last opportunity to sit out at the cricket pitch in sunny May. The grad who's probably doing best from our year "only" got a II.II.
    • Keep in touch with your class afterwards, it'll be more valuable to you in 10 years time than the grade you got, the grade you get will more than likely be irrelevant to everyone except you 4 years after graduation.
    This is very important in terms of networking.

Grimebox wrote: »
    I just finished 4th year so I'll give you my 2c. I did the internship route so I didn't do a final project and I can't comment on that. Fourth year on a whole was easier than other years to be honest because it is essentially one semester. You don't have to sit an exam 4 months after you finish a topic like in other years. I got a II.I

1.Computer vision
    An enjoyable module as there is a lot of problem solving and hands on labs with real world examples. I would recommend it. Some of the topics towards the end can get complicated and abstract, to the degree that I skipped one topic as it was taking up too much time to get my head around come exam time. SIFT I think it was called. The class is huge because its shared with various courses including masters students, this didn't hinder the class for me though. Workload can seem somewhat high at times because the assignments can be tough.

Split into two parts. In depth look at VM's and how they work. Interesting enough with constant tutorials to keep you engaged. Large project in the second half which I never got finished. I can't even remember what it was about right now... medium workload overall

3.Mobile communication
    I didn't do this

4.Distributed systems
    Large project and easy exam. I literally waffled my way through exam with a vague understanding of a few topics and did well. I struggled with the project. Great lecturer but the material wasn't all that interesting. It is very broad. The surface is scratched of a multitude of technologies which frankly I still don't know anything about, hence the waffly exam.

5.Human factors
    Compulsory module that most people would probably choose not to do. This was the class that everyone skipped. It got a lot more flak than it deserved imo. It is all about how to design computers systems to interact with people. The notes/slides are poor so I would recommend attending. I found some of the stuff interesting. Like how and why it became standard for a mouse to be used with a PC. There is a large group project, do it with your friends if you can. Nothing worse than absentee group members. Do not over think the project. It can be quite easy but people seem to get flustered in how to get it done perfectly in a subject that is imperfect by nature.

6.Computer graphics
    Horrendous lecturer. There were times when I asked a question and was more confused after asking. The lectures don't go at the same pace as the labs. They feel separate. You learn about modelling towards the end of the lectures but that was covered in the second lab. The labs are purely for the project and the lecturers are purely for the exam. This is shared with engineers and it feels more like an engineering subject. For example, there were some physics in it regarding to how light bounces off objects and formulas to match. Formulas for bezier curves? Awful. I just don't care for that kind of stuff to be honest. While I did enjoy making the game to an extent, it was too much work which you are largely on your own for. The game is as hard as you make it. I made something simple and it still drove me nuts at times. I enjoy video games and I got suckered in at the prospects of using OpenGL. I wouldn't do this again if I had the choice, but it was nice to cross something off the list.

Do you not do Entrepreneurship?
    Thanks for your insight. THis thread would be very helpful to current and future final year students.
    I am taking entrepreneurship.
    Jeremy Jones is taking the advanced computer architecture class this year for the full 12 weeks.
    I got the feeling that the labs take up quite a bit of time.
    We were just given our first lab yesterday and it had no bearing at all in relation to the class. I would be changing my module thou.
    The exams look easy but I don't want to spend so much time working on my project.
    My aim is to get a first class.Any Advice?
    Is there is something you wish you could have done in hindsight?

Advertisement