Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a normal irish spider

Options
  • 25-09-2013 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Found this lad on the gazebo out the back tonight.
    It gave me the creeps.
    Is it a normal native irish spider who just has a prime location and is bulking up or what is it?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Just a normal Irish spider anyway (I don't know the species though)! Possibly full of eggs, but thats just a guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Dono about weather that spider can talk Irish or not, but what the hell is the story with all these massive ones that are starting to show themselves?!!! They're bloody huge, 2-3 inches. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yeah, that's a normal Irish spider. They're all over my garden at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Orangeglacier

Thanks for the response guys disappointed at the lack of ability to speak irish but happy he ain't lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Very possibly a False Widow. I have them around at the moment, took me awhile to ID them properly and yes they can bite and it can be painful but not lethal like the Black Widow.

The False Widow can be found throughout the EU, UK and Ireland.

That would be my guess anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Hey mate,

I think that is called an " Orb Weaver",

They are very common around garden sheds and weave webs in areas where lots of flies pass by.

Advertisement