Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice - Road Bike Upgrade

• 24-09-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So I have a budget of around 1400 and want to get the best bike possible. I do a good bit of cycling and enter events like the Wicklow200 etc and the occasional duathlon.

The bikes I've looked at are the:

Battaglin 105 from Wiggle.co.uk;
    Felt F5 105;
    Planet X pro carbon ultegra; and
    Vitus Dark Plasma 105 from chainreactioncycles.co.uk.

I've done a good bit of reseach into the bikes but have come to the point where Id just be delighted if someone could tell me which one to buy!

Any help would be great.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Have a look at Canyon, Rose and Ribble bikes - well rated and huge bang for buck. Canyon would be my personal favourite of that bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭mosstin

So I have a budget of around 1400 and want to get the best bike possible. I do a good bit of cycling and enter events like the Wicklow200 etc and the occasional duathlon.

The bikes I've looked at are the:

Battaglin 105 from Wiggle.co.uk;
    Felt F5 105;
    Planet X pro carbon ultegra; and
    Vitus Dark Plasma 105 from chainreactioncycles.co.uk.

I've done a good bit of reseach into the bikes but have come to the point where Id just be delighted if someone could tell me which one to buy!

Any help would be great.

Thanks guys!

I've recently upgraded myself and after much deliberation (and some sterling advice, not least from here) I went for the Cannondale CAAD10. I bought the Ultegra version though the 105 seems to be a very decent price too. It isn't carbon but it's every bit as light, sturdy and looks great. I've had it for 2 weeks now and I love it. Of course it's not on your list but from what information I've gathered it's superior to every one of them. Just my opinion, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I recently bought an F5 and I love it, very comfortable bike, light and very fast. The 105 is a good upgrade on the tiagra on my other bike and is nice, smooth and precise. I had planned on buying an F4 but couldnt justify the extra cost purely for he ultegra groupset as the frames and finishing kits are identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

This might seem a silly question, but have you ridden them all? Had a choice last year between a Cannondale CAAD9 and a Cube Peleton Pro. Tried both out for a 30 min cycle (the advantages of buying from your LBS) and the Cube just felt right. Absolutely no other way to explain it than that - just fit my shape better. So if you're torn between bikes I would suggest trying them out.

If you have 4 bikes there that you're torn between, but have had the opportunity to test ride only two of them, I would immediately narrow my options down to those two bikes. Others may disagree, but I feel that a geometry that's right for one rider may not work for someone else.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Planet X with Ultegra is an absolute bargain

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 RaoulDuke1415

Thanks for the advice so far, it is really helpful to get some other points of view. I take the point in relation to the Cannondale but I'm pretty set on getting a carbon frame.

My only reservation in relation to the Planet X bike is that I don't know much about them or anyone who has one. The specs obviously look amazing for €1250.

I think I'm leaning towards the F5 though! Very reputable brand and is on sale on wiggle for €1263.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Thanks for the advice so far, it is really helpful to get some other points of view. I take the point in relation to the Cannondale but I'm pretty set on getting a carbon frame.

My only reservation in relation to the Planet X bike is that I don't know much about them or anyone who has one. The specs obviously look amazing for €1250.

I think I'm leaning towards the F5 though! Very reputable brand and is on sale on wiggle for €1263.

Planet X are a perfectly reputable brand who make quality bikes at a very good price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Seaneh wrote: »
    Planet X are a perfectly reputable brand who make quality bikes at a very good price.

They are indeed.

The Planet X has Ultegra. You want Ultegra. Well actually you want Dura Ace or Super Record but at your budget you should be delighted with Ultegra. I would be.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement