Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator not heating. Help

Options
  • 24-09-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I took off the radiator in one of the upstairs bedroom and flushed it out as it didn't seem to heat properly earlier in the year. I have to say I was amazed at the amount of black ****e that came out of it. anyway I put it back and turned on the pump on the heating system to run the water through and fill the rad, But the rad is still not heating and when I went to bleed out any air I had very little water pressure from it. Is there another step to try to get this rad heating or am I doing something wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

If an upstairs radiator contains that much black sludge , you should think about getting the whole system powerflushed , id say if you were to take it back off the wall now it would be just as black again as the system is after circulating and shifted more crap back into that rad again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

+1 what sullz said. Have you both sides of the rad turned on?
    Also check system pressure it may need topping up if its a sealed system. If its a gas boiler then there'll be a gauge at the boiler usually. Should be between 1 - 1.5 on it

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Handeman

both sides of the rad are on.

not sure what type of system it is. we originally had gas heating but I got that removed 2 years ago and put a stove in to heat the house as our gas bills for the winter were astronomical. I know when the stove was put in the chap had to put a smaller tank in the attic if that helps.
    What would I need to powerflush (excuse the ignorance ) and could it be done by anyone or would I need a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Handeman wrote: »
    both sides of the rad are on.

not sure what type of system it is. we originally had gas heating but I got that removed 2 years ago and put a stove in to heat the house as our gas bills for the winter were astronomical. I know when the stove was put in the chap had to put a smaller tank in the attic if that helps.
    What would I need to powerflush (excuse the ignorance ) and could it be done by anyone or would I need a plumber.

You'll need a plumber. What part of de country you in. Plenty of guys here do powerflushing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Try turning off all the other rads upstairs and see does it heat, system may need to be balanced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Did you open the bleed valve at the top of the rad when you where filling it back up to let all the air out? You also need to do it while the pump is off not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Handeman

I actually didn't open the bleed valve when I put it back on AND I turned on the pump thinking that would help it fill.
    I'll take it off again over the weekend give it another flush and put it back with the valve open and the pump off and let ye know how I get on.

Thanks very much for all the advice.

Advertisement