Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad time to get a Surface?

• 23-09-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

I am supposed to be buying a Surface RT for €280 from someone tomorrow.
    However, the Surface 2 has just been announced. Is there likely to be a massive drop in price as with HP etc? Is the Surface 2 worth the extra few quid?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Prodgey wrote: »
    I am supposed to be buying a Surface RT for €280 from someone tomorrow.
    However, the Surface 2 has just been announced. Is there likely to be a massive drop in price as with HP etc? Is the Surface 2 worth the extra few quid?
    Thanks

It is highly unlikely there will be a further price drop on the Surface RT as the price has already been reduced in anticipation of the Surface 2.

The Surface 2 starts off at €439. It has a faster processor, a better screen and improved battery life.

I find my RT great and very handy to use. If you can afford the €439, I would wait to get the newer version, mainly because of the improved processor.
    You can pre order it from Microsofts store online and will be released in 1 months time.

The attachable keyboard is now €79.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The surface 1 price reduction already happened. it will stay in production at the current MSRP. Surface 2 will be about 100 euro higher.

The surface 2 features in addition to more battery life and faster cpu a 2nd position on the kickstand (44 deg, in addition to current 22 degree tilt) and supports the new cover accessories. the new covers (touch/type/power/music) are all backlit keys and one is a pretty substantial battery back but will cost a lot.

I'd haggle two fiddy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Prodgey

Forgot to mention I'm getting a touch keyboard with that, so I think it's pretty reasonable? Wouldn't justify €400 + on a device which I won't be able to use as my primary one, I will still be using my laptop for a lot of things, so I think I'll go with this! Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

Prodgey wrote: »
    Forgot to mention I'm getting a touch keyboard with that, so I think it's pretty reasonable? Wouldn't justify €400 + on a device which I won't be able to use as my primary one, I will still be using my laptop for a lot of things, so I think I'll go with this! Thanks lads.

You will enjoy your RT as I do mine. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'd hang tough for an Asus Transformer Book T100. 10 inch tablet with detachable mechanical keyboard included. Full Windows 8.1 and new generation Atom processor. No EU price yet but confirmed at $349 US, so likely with the €300 - €350 range here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd hang tough for an Asus Transformer Book T100. 10 inch tablet with detachable mechanical keyboard included. Full Windows 8.1 and new generation Atom processor. No EU price yet but confirmed at $349 US, so likely with the €300 - €350 range here.
    I've been disappointed by all but the TF101 frankly. Each successive iteration was a crapshoot because they constantly reinvent the wheel. Should have been that you buy the keyboard dock ($150) once, and it would be compatible with 2nd 3rd and 4th gen. Nope. Every gen became different, and the units themselves often had issues with things like wifi.

The fact that it's Atom is good, but ASUS has a couple Atom tablets out now, with keyboard options. And you guessed it, they all take a different dock more or less, and the units themselves lack ports and connectivity. For USB, you have to buy and use the dock. The USB has been something the ASUS tablets havent had on the tablet itself since TF101, and its stupid. I won't even knock them for the proprietary 30-something pin connector, most companies do/did that and it beats the HELL out of Micro USB. They all prefer micro because it can be used for charging and it can act as a USB host with the right accessory attachment. But in practical use, Micro USB is too fragile to be used frequently, and I steer clear from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've been looking at the Asus T100 as well but then I stumbled across DELL's upcoming Venue 11 Pro

Looks great plus the range of expansion options sells it for me - You can turn it into a full ultrabook essentially. They're also releasing a smaller/cheaper 8" version as well.

I'm thinking I may pick one up for Christmas depending on final pricing.

Advertisement