Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

make the switch from film to dslr

Options
  • 23-09-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

just wondering if there is a source online that someone could recommend that makes the transition from film to digital photography easier for someone who is buying their first dslr, or even recommend a text book. My grandad is looking to make the jump as hes been shooting film for years.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

I don't know about online resources, but if he's been using any mainstream SLR made in the last 20 years, the switch will be pretty easy. The bodies, lenses and controls are practically identical, except that on a DSLR you control the ISO and colour/white balance. And if you like you can let the camera control those things.

How computer savvy is he? Because the need to use a computer for transferring, editing and sharing is the only area I can imagine an older person having trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,627 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

he should find the switch easy eneogh, I switched to digital after not photographing anything for around 20 years , and the main princlples are the same - image compostion, correct light and exposure , except development as such is done on computer - if he buys a canon , they give free introductory courses which may be worth doing - also the institute of photography do good introduction courses to digital photography - the switch is not that scary , honest, he'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

This book here contains a good guide to the basic controls of a DSLR. In fairness the manual you get with a DSLR is detailed enough, that book only fleshes it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's dealing with the digital photos that will be the difficult part if he doesn't already use a computer.

I found these two books helpful.

This one is specifically about digital photography but I don't think there's necessarily anything he wouldn't know in it as it's still a photography book, it does go into Photoshop PP though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1405315563/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is photoshop for photographers so it specifically deals with photo touch up without going into all the possibilities of photoshop in other fields. If he intends to take up photoshop he'll find this one most beneficial.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0240522001/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Advertisement