Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pensions question

Options
  • 23-09-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I got a letter and some literature in the post this morning in relation to pensions that has kind of thrown me. I'll be honest, I know nothing about pensions so Im really confused about it all. But from what I do understand(I think) Im being issued with a bill of 4,000 euro which has been back dated some how and also from this week on(26th septemeber) I have to make a weekly contribution to a pension. I only work part-time and the list of deductions I incur weekly is already very lenghty(public sector job) so to be told that theres even more to come out of my already very tight pay-packet is a kick in the balls. I cant afford to take any more deductions, I literally wont be able to afford food. And it says in this letter that I have no choice, its not something I can decide to not take up.
    I have no intention of staying in this job long term, I've been saving like crazy these last few years to pay for a return to college so to contribute to a fund I'll never use is like paying a mortgage on a house I'll never live in. I really do not wanna pay them 4,000 out of my college fund, that'll make a big dent.

My question is, is there a way out of this, can I actually opt out and not pay into a pension I'll never use?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No is the short answer. If you work in the public service you are obliged to pay pension contributions. If you leave with less than 2 years service they can refund you.

Advertisement