Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle Database Certification

Options
  • 23-09-2013 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A few colleagues are interested in completing certifications in Oracle. They're not at DBA level but would be fairly advanced SQL and PL/SQL developers.

What certifications if any are open to them to beef up their CVs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Oscar_Drai

I am a PL/SQL Developer as well and would be very interested to find out about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Oscar_Drai wrote: »
    I am a PL/SQL Developer as well and would be very interested to find out about it.

Oscar_drai,

After some digging around I came across this.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=632

What's your view on the Database Certification paths?

boobar wrote: »
    Oscar_drai,

After some digging around I came across this.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=632

What's your view on the Database Certification paths?

I would definitely go for this one as I am yet junior and would like to reinforce and consolidate my knowledge as well as having an internationally recognised certificate before moving on to the DBA area, if at all.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:PLSQl

What about yourselves?

I would definitely go for this one as I am yet junior and would like to reinforce and consolidate my knowledge as well as having an internationally recognised certificate before moving on to the DBA area, if at all.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=458&get_params=p_track_id:PLSQl

What about yourselves?

I'd say they'll go for the exact same one....the DBA path could be a long long way down the road

Will they pay for it or is it paid for by their company? It'd be great to be in touch! I don't know what to do in tearms of books, timing and how to approach the study!

• Advertisement

Hi,

Would you put in me contact with your colleagues? I would very interested in completing one of the certifications by the end of next summer but it seems a bit of a big task on my own. It'd help a lot if I had someone to talk to about this.

Thanks,
    O.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's important to differentiate between developers and DBAs when it comes to certification. I'm Oracle 10 DBA certified, and as you can see from the link above, there is a difference between the two.

For 10 (not too dissimilar from 11g), you had to do a 5-day course, along with taking a number of exams. It is not easy, and I cannot emphasise enough how important hands-on, real-world experience is. Developing packages and procedures in PL/SQL is vastly different from DBA tasks. Also, reading from a book and practicing is simply not enough.

I failed the associates exam twice before I passed, and I had over 10 years experience with Oracle (granted by 3% the first time and one lousy percent the second time :o).

So, it is important to decide which track you want to go down - DBA or Developer.

Hi,

Would you put in me contact with your colleagues? I would very interested in completing one of the certifications by the end of next summer but it seems a bit of a big task on my own. It'd help a lot if I had someone to talk to about this.

Thanks,
    O.D.

Hi Oscar...showed it to the colleagues...they've put it in hold for the foreseeable...cost is putting them off as is the amount if effort, they're not sure that these certs are well recognised.

Advertisement