Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever paid to get you a TEFL job?

• 23-09-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I've worked in the TEFL sector in Ireland for a number of years. A friend of mine, who wants to find TEFL work abroad, got in touch with me today about a job offer he got.

He's been offered a job (I think with a school in Bahrain) via TESOL Online.

http://tesol-online.net/

They're asking for a €350 placement fee. Is this normal? Has anybody used this company to get TEFL work abroad before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

gaf1983 wrote: »
    I've worked in the TEFL sector in Ireland for a number of years. A friend of mine, who wants to find TEFL work abroad, got in touch with me today about a job offer he got.

He's been offered a job (I think with a school in Bahrain) via TESOL Online.

http://tesol-online.net/

They're asking for a €350 placement fee. Is this normal? Has anybody used this company to get TEFL work abroad before?

I asked my TEFL Trainer about a similar job before in Chile and she told me not to bother with those agencies. I think she told me to find a school that organises that stuff already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Posthuman

Hi Guys,

I have been in contact with Tesol-Online.net myself.

I understand you recommend not going through those agencies, but can anyone confirm if this one in particular is legitimate? I am new to this and need some reassurance!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ahhhhh its grand

There is absolutely no need to pay for a job. I've been teaching abroad for 4 years and have never needed (nor met anyone who has) to pay a fee to get a job. If you meet the teaching requirements for a specific country then there is no reason you can't find a job yourself, there are 1000's online.

There are also reputable agencies that will find you a school, and will not charge you anything. Any fee they require will be paid by the school in which you are placed. Just make sure you Google the hell out the the company beforehand...the same goes for any school that you might get an offer from. For those who are teaching abroad for the first time, then there is something to be said for the reassurance offered by being helped along the way by an agency (providing they stick to their word). However, like I have said before, I have never paid for a tefl job and I never would.

As far as the company you quoted is concerned, I can't comment as I've never heard of them. Google isn't throwing up much on them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Posthuman

I appreciate the advice.

Advertisement