Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What now

Options
  • 23-09-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just did a clear blue test it says 1-2 weeks preg.
    Am so excited but scared it could be a false positive?
    What do I do next?
    Contact gp or maternity hospital?
    We have only been trying one month!
    So happy but a little shocked haha
    Is it common to get a false positive?
    Thanks x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

False positives are very very rare, like hens teeth. You can go to GP to get it confirmed, but the tests GP's do aren't usually as sensitive as the home kits. I was 8 weeks pregnant on my first and the doc still couldn't pick it up on his test.

GP can refer to hospital or most hospitals do self referrals, just give the one you choose a ring and see how it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

January wrote: »
    False positives are very very rare, like hens teeth. You can go to GP to get it confirmed, but the tests GP's do aren't usually as sensitive as the home kits. I was 8 weeks pregnant on my first and the doc still couldn't pick it up on his test.

GP can refer to hospital or most hospitals do self referrals, just give the one you choose a ring and see how it's done.

Thanks kind of put my mind at ease I've been rushing to the loo every five mins thinking I'm getting my period!!!

Gonna ring my gp and arrange a visit.
    Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Libbybelle

Happybump, I am exactly the same! Got a positive 1-2 weeks this morning, I am in total shock! I had been attending a fertility clinic and taking Clomid, but was on a break from Clomid as we were going on holidays. I think it was conceived on holiday, so the old adage of it happening when you forget about it and relax is true in this case!

I rang the fertility clinic and spoke to a nurse. She said the positives on the pregnancy tests are extremely reliable. The most they could offer me was an early pregnancy scan in two weeks when I will be six weeks (they work the date from the first day of your last period rather than the conception date) so I guess I have a nervous two weeks ahead! She said there was no need to do lots of home tests, unless you experience spotting or bleeding.

Hope it works out for both of us, it’s exciting/terrifying/nerve wracking/elating all at once…. Think this is the longest day in work ever!

Am going to my own gp on Monday to confirm pregnancy and decide what hospital to go to etc..
    All so exciting. I'll be 5 weeks pregnant on Monday!! Ahhhh sounds mad!!

Happybump wrote: »
    Am going to my own gp on Monday to confirm pregnancy and decide what hospital to go to etc..
    All so exciting. I'll be 5 weeks pregnant on Monday!! Ahhhh sounds mad!!
    How did you get on at the doctors happybump?

After all my talk about not doing more tests, I have now done three in total! The last one was yesterday and it said 2-3 weeks, so things seem to be moving on nicely. 5 weeks tomorrow, no symptoms yet!

• Advertisement

Got on grand at the doc she confirmed pregnancy, had a chat and registerd for combined care and rotunda hospital.
    Told close family yesterday so exciting!
    Can't wait to tell everyone!
    January u were right about the gp test it came up negative! And she told me to come back in a week I nearly died!
    I was only outside the door and she called me back saying it came up positive!
    She said the gp tests are really crappy cheapie ones lol!

That's great happybump, it's nice to get everything confirmed. I had an early scan last week and it was fantastic, saw a heartbeat and everything!

Can I ask, what is combined care? I was planning to go public and have heard a lot of people talking about combined care, not sure exactly what that entails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Libbybelle wrote: »
    That's great happybump, it's nice to get everything confirmed. I had an early scan last week and it was fantastic, saw a heartbeat and everything!

Can I ask, what is combined care? I was planning to go public and have heard a lot of people talking about combined care, not sure exactly what that entails.

Combined care is just when you visit your GP every second appointment rather than the hospital. I think you get 6 appointments with the GP during pregnancy and 2 after (2 week check and 6 weeks check).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/women_s_health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services.html

January wrote: »
    Combined care is just when you visit your GP every second appointment rather than the hospital. I think you get 6 appointments with the GP during pregnancy and 2 after (2 week check and 6 weeks check).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/women_s_health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services.html
    Thanks January, I thought it was a system somewhere between public and private. I might consider that, I work half an hour away from my GP, but depending on the length of the queues in the hospital, it could work out as quick and convenient to visit the GP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Libbybelle wrote: »
    Thanks January, I thought it was a system somewhere between public and private. I might consider that, I work half an hour away from my GP, but depending on the length of the queues in the hospital, it could work out as quick and convenient to visit the GP!

I much preferred visiting my GP, she's really good and my visits were never rushed, I could ask anything I wanted and no queuing for hours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I think the queues depend on the hospital and the consultant though. I'm going public in Holles St, so far my appointments have been at 8am, and so far I've mostly been in and out and at my desk in work before 9am! Maybe I've just been lucky though!

I think the queues depend on the hospital and the consultant though. I'm going public in Holles St, so far my appointments have been at 8am, and so far I've mostly been in and out and at my desk in work before 9am! Maybe I've just been lucky though!

I was public in Holles st too, and if you get in before 8am you do get out quick. I just liked seeing my own GP too. It's a good mix, IMO - towards the end trudging into town was getting tough! I have to say, Holles st were great when they had to be - I presented in outpatients when I had a kidney infection, within 5 mins I was seen by a doctor and brought upstairs to be admitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am the same! I go in for 7.45 and am back home in my house for 9.30! I ended up having to go to casualty the other day at around 11am and the queue from morning clinic was unreal lots of ladies waiting at least 2 hours but they told me they didn't get there till 10 am. There was such a delay the morning clinic hadn't finished by 1pm (which is when afternoon clinic was meant to start!) So I think going early is the key!
    I honestly couldn't fault the care I have received and the staff in holles street. Everyone I have dealt with are so caring. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Millem wrote: »
    I am the same! I go in for 7.45 and am back home in my house for 9.30! I ended up having to go to casualty the other day at around 11am and the queue from morning clinic was unreal lots of ladies waiting at least 2 hours but they told me they didn't get there till 10 am. There was such a delay the morning clinic hadn't finished by 1pm (which is when afternoon clinic was meant to start!) So I think going early is the key!
    I honestly couldn't fault the care I have received and the staff in holles street. Everyone I have dealt with are so caring. :)

I completely agree.

I rang one Saturday because I was having some crampy pains - nothing too serious, but I wasn't yet feeling the baby move at that stage (around 20 weeks) so I wasn't sure if I should be worried. The midwife I was speaking to told me to come in. I was seen by a doctor within 20 minutes of arriving, and got a scan (a proper one, not just one of the mini-ones) and she was soooo lovely and reassuring! I expected to get a telling-off for wasting their time, but she couldn't have been nicer, and didn't make me feel like a silly over-anxious first-timer. :o

Honestly the care I've received there so far is amazing (and I'm a public patient) - wouldn't hesitate to recommend the place to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I completely agree.

I rang one Saturday because I was having some crampy pains - nothing too serious, but I wasn't yet feeling the baby move at that stage (around 20 weeks) so I wasn't sure if I should be worried. The midwife I was speaking to told me to come in. I was seen by a doctor within 20 minutes of arriving, and got a scan (a proper one, not just one of the mini-ones) and she was soooo lovely and reassuring! I expected to get a telling-off for wasting their time, but she couldn't have been nicer, and didn't make me feel like a silly over-anxious first-timer. :o

Honestly the care I've received there so far is amazing (and I'm a public patient) - wouldn't hesitate to recommend the place to anyone.

I am public too! And i honestly don't think I would get any better care going private! I ended up being sent upstairs to fetal assessment for a growth scan (proper scan) after seeing doc and having mini scan. Turned out that everything is perfect thank god! My vhi covers €4000 I think but then I would have to pay consultants on top of that (another €4,000) initially was going to go to mount carmel and do the combined care. After my first appointment with gp he said if you want nice surroundings go to mount carmel and pay otherwise go public in holles street! But after reading about that model agent Jules (from midday) I was too scared! I actually know someone who has no health insurance and is paying to go private in holles street (which is just crazy!) and she is hoping she doesn't have to stay a night!

Holles streets care is second to none, IMO. I went in for a trace at 34 weeks as I hadn't felt movement, they had me up in the fetal monitoring dept and on a trace within five minutes of my arrival, once that was finished I was immediately taken for a scan. Both the midwife and the doctor treating me were hugely supportive and reassured me completely that I did the right thing to come in.
    Similarly, a few days before I went into labour I had to go to outpatients with a kidney infection. Even though it was really busy (normal morning clinic going on) I was called to be seen by a doctor within five minutes of arriving, and taken straight upstairs for bloods and a scan. I was in a bed on a ward and on IV antibiotics within the hour. And when I was in labour, as soon as my baby was deemed to be in distress a huge team swung into action - reading my notes afterwards, from the midwife alerting the team that his heart rate was dropping to baby out took eight minutes.
    The post natal ward was extremely busy, but the midwives were all lovely, if very overworked. I would have no hesitation in going back to Holles st - all my care was as a public patient.

Advertisement