Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo of the Week #170 17.08.13-23.08.13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭dinneenp

@DVDlots- love it but I think it could be improved by adding a moon.

(Not a dig at lokee98, but just a joke at the amount of debate the photo caused).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

dinneenp wrote: »

Swans and a rock FFS ;)

Well done everyone. Very nice work indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i haven't seen loki post on here since that debate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

i haven't seen loki post on here since that debate :(

He/She hasnt posted on Flickr in a while either so maybe he/she is away or something?

Either way, doesnt look like Boards have lost him/her(hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭secman

Super shots there, every one of them. Well done to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

Love the little crab.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

Great to get a mention - Kbeg3, great shot, is that slovenia?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

eoglyn wrote: »
    Great to get a mention - Kbeg3, great shot, is that slovenia?

Sure is! Lake Bled in Slovenia. Amazing place for photos!

steoc wrote: »
    Love the little crab.

Cheers! Was taken on a beach in the Maldives, followed that little guy around for ten minutes before he posed properly.

My first contribution to the forum, thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

dinneenp wrote: »

(Not a dig at lokee98, but just a joke at the amount of debate the photo caused).

and a swan ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Dónal wrote: »
    Cheers! Was taken on a beach in the Maldives, followed that little guy around for ten minutes before he posed properly.

My first contribution to the forum, thanks guys!

I love the way you chose to frame - or crop - that image.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Winning picture is from a camera phone. Goes to show where we're at with equipment requirements these days :) few apps, point and shoot and bobs your aunty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Great shot DVD. I just have a question about the circular ripples - what caused these?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Loire wrote: »
    Great shot DVD. I just have a question about the circular ripples - what caused these?

Ripples are often caused by something interfering with the surface of a liquid. In this case, unless I'm very much mistaken, there appears to be someone standing in the water. I'd hazard a suggestion that that's what is responsible for the 'circular ripples' that you're puzzled about.

Ripples are often caused by something interfering with the surface of a liquid. In this case, unless I'm very much mistaken, there appears to be someone standing in the water. I'd hazard a suggestion that that's what is responsible for the 'circular ripples' that you're puzzled about.

Thanks Daire,

That's what I would have thought myself, but the ripples, to me anyway, look like they were caused by an object having been dropped into the water (note their near-perfect circular shape), rather than by, as you suggest, someone standing in the water (who appears quite stationary). Perhaps the OP might answer the question.

Super shot though!

Loire.

Edit: Actually if you go to the Flickr address, there is a very similar shot taken where there are no ripples: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dvdlots/9506463149/in/photostream/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, it's does seem fairly ambiguous alright. Perhaps the fisherman/woman has just dropped into the water from a height, perhaps from a helicopter skid or something. I think we can get to the bottom of this mystery somehow if we all work together.

Edit:Just looking at Photoshop and under the Filter menu there's a tool called distort and it has a ripple setting. I think that's your answer right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Time for another PS witch hunt then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rather than by, as you suggest, someone standing in the water (who appears quite stationary).
    as the ripples would obviously have been created prior to the shutter release, it's quite plausible that the person moved several seconds before the shot was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Thanks Daire,

That's what I would have thought myself, but the ripples, to me anyway, look like they were caused by an object having been dropped into the water (note their near-perfect circular shape), rather than by, as you suggest, someone standing in the water (who appears quite stationary). Perhaps the OP might answer the question.

Super shot though!

Loire.

Edit: Actually if you go to the Flickr address, there is a very similar shot taken where there are no ripples: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dvdlots/9506463149/in/photostream/

The key word here being 'similar'. The main subject has very obviously moved his or her arm in the meantime for a start, it's entirely possible he or she could have taken a step or moved slighty as well.

barking -> wrong tree IMO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, the fact the the ripples are nearly perfectly circular is moot, as ripples will radiate in circles anyway, when coming from a near point source like that.

• Advertisement

The key word here being 'similar'. The main subject has very obviously moved his or her arm in the meantime for a start, it's entirely possible he or she could have taken a step or moved slighty as well.

If the person in the photo moved as you suggest then I would expect the ripples to form from where the person moved from, in the same way (but less dramatic) that ripples form behind moving swans/ducks.
    barking -> wrong tree IMO

Your probably right! But perhaps the poster could confirm.

zero19 wrote: »
    Time for another PS witch hunt then?

If that's directed at me, then I would have to deny that. It is a genuine question about a photograph I think is excellent. If I was lucky enough or capable enough to take a photograph like that of one of my children I would be very proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

As the centre of the ripples seem to be to the front right of the subject, then I would think the the photographer asked the kid to slap the water to make the ripples and therefore make the shot more interesting.

Logie-1 wrote: »
    As the centre of the ripples seem to be to the front right of the subject, then I would think the the photographer asked the kid to slap the water to make the ripples and therefore make the shot more interesting.

Very well spotted and a great idea if true :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Cheers guys, sorry to burst your bubbles but the ripples are very real, :)

The features under the water are very rocky so he was constantly shifting his feet about to get settled, I took about 50 pics in total that evening and was lucky enough that there was one that came out perfectly with the ripples the way they were.

He'll be delighted to hear it got photo of the week, I'm delighted too!

pl_screen_f.jpg

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Cheers guys, sorry to burst your bubbles but the ripples are very real, :)

The features under the water are very rocky so he was constantly shifting his feet about to get settled, I took about 50 pics in total that evening and was lucky enough that there was one that came out perfectly with the ripples the way they were.

He'll be delighted to hear it got photo of the week, I'm delighted too!

Fantastic and well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    sorry to burst your bubbles but the ripples are very real

Bubbles!!!!!!?????? I can't see any bubbles :pac:

Nice one anyways

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

If that's directed at me, then I would have to deny that. It is a genuine question about a photograph I think is excellent. If I was lucky enough or capable enough to take a photograph like that of one of my children I would be very proud.

No no, not directed at you at all Loire. Tis a great photo indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

pl_screen_f.jpg

Just got a flashback to that barmy thread where some bloke posted a picture of a fake UFO and wondered how it was taken.

Advertisement