Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennis noob

Options
  • 23-09-2013 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

How's it going all,

I've decided I want to take up playing Tennis, but I haven't played since I was about 10 so don't really know much! Was looking at rackets over the weekend, and noticed that there are loads of different sized ones from 21" to 27". What one should an adult buy? Tall 24 year old if it makes a difference?

Also, I'm going to be playing with another total beginner, so anyone know anywhere cheap/free that we can play ideally around Clondalkin or surrounding areas? I've heard there's one in Marlay park.

Also, any beginner tips much appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Iano_128 wrote: »
    How's it going all,

I've decided I want to take up playing Tennis, but I haven't played since I was about 10 so don't really know much! Was looking at rackets over the weekend, and noticed that there are loads of different sized ones from 21" to 27". What one should an adult buy? Tall 24 year old if it makes a difference?

Also, I'm going to be playing with another total beginner, so anyone know anywhere cheap/free that we can play ideally around Clondalkin or surrounding areas? I've heard there's one in Marlay park.

Also, any beginner tips much appreciated :)
    Adult rackets are 27 -27.5 inches long. The head size will be more important. As a rule of thumb, a larger head size gives a larger sweet spot, so that's probably best for beginners. I'm not sure what public parks are in Clondalkin, but check those out for courts as quite a few have them, including Marley.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Ok so get one with the largest head I can, I've found this one, would this be a good one for beginners? http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9019353/Trail/searchtext%3ETENNIS+RACKET.htm

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Stay well away from that. It looks like some piece of s**t children's racquet or something.

For a beginner it doesn't matter too much what spec you buy because you wont know any different anyway. It'll take a while for you to develop a play style, and then you can purchase a racquet based around that.

You just need to buy something solid that has a nice bit of weight to it, preferably head light. I swear, the amount of beginners that show up at the club with these stupid featherweight pieces of scrap that they got for 20 quid down in Elverey's is maddening.

Never cheap out on your tennis gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

Cheers Rob, was going to pop in to Elverys to have a look if i'm honest :).

Can you recommend either somewhere I can go to get a good beginner racket or else send me a link of one that would be good? Cheers.

EDIT: Just looked up "Head Light" tennis rackets, first link that comes up they're all priced at around the 200$ mark? Don't get me wrong, if I get in to the sport I'll have no problem spending money on a good racket but I don't want to spend that and a month later realise I don't want to continue playing Tennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Iano_128 wrote: »
    Cheers Rob, was going to pop in to Elverys to have a look if i'm honest :).

Can you recommend either somewhere I can go to get a good beginner racket or else send me a link of one that would be good? Cheers.

EDIT: Just looked up "Head Light" tennis rackets, first link that comes up they're all priced at around the 200$ mark? Don't get me wrong, if I get in to the sport I'll have no problem spending money on a good racket but I don't want to spend that and a month later realise I don't want to continue playing Tennis.
    If you're in Dublin, I'd recommend Martyn Evans Sports in Fitzwilliam Lawn Tennis Club. They have a good selection of rackets, and would usually be happy to advise a beginner as to what would be good to start with. They also have second hand models (or at least used to). I haven't bought rackets there in some time, but they used to be very competitive with their prices back when I did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement