Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse in toilet

Options
  • 23-09-2013 7:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

We got up this morning and there was a mouse (alive) in the toilet! Is there any chance he came up the shore into the toilet or is it more likely he was inside the house and climbed into the toilet? We have a baby crawling downstairs so I feel physically ill about this. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

More likely he was in the house and needed a drink.

Get yourself a mouse trap and put some peanut butter on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

pointer28 wrote: »
    More likely he was in the house and needed a drink.

Get yourself a mouse trap and put some peanut butter on it.

Seriously or are you joking? (Feels like a mouse needing a drink must be a drink!)
    Getting traps this morn... Peanut butter is a new one on me!

I think they were in living room too... There were dusty bits of fluff around the living room this morn.
    By the way, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Unfortunately he is probably not alone.... Mice, when they run along the ground urinate and s**t as they move, so you will have to clean and disinfect everywhere. Hope you catch them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

100% serious, every animal needs water to survive.

Peanut butter is the best bait you'll get, they love it and they can't steal it from the trap either so they have to stay scratching at it and more likely to get caught. Otherwise chocolate spread or something similar.

Cheese might catch the odd one but not half as effective as Walt Disney would have you believe.

pointer28 wrote: »
    100% serious, every animal needs water to survive.

Peanut butter is the best bait you'll get, they love it and they can't steal it from the trap either so they have to stay scratching at it and more likely to get caught. Otherwise chocolate spread or something similar.

Cheese might catch the odd one but not half as effective as Walt Disney would have you believe.

On way to get peanut butter, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

I find mice lick off the peanut butter A bit of raw rasher tie on with thread works much better.. No need to feel sick about this, you cannot expect your floor to be clinically clean it never will be and havin everythin covered in disinfectant really only harms the child's immune system

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ok on a serious note.. Is the mouse still alive?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ok on a serious note.. Is the mouse still alive?

No idea, in a moment of panic I flushed it down loo (took 3 flushes). In hindsight, it was quiet big so I'm wondering if it was a smallish rat?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

yellow hen wrote: »
    No idea, in a moment of panic I flushed it down loo (took 3 flushes). In hindsight, it was quiet big so I'm wondering if it was a smallish rat?

Don't worry. They always seem bigger in your imagination when thinking back. Any droppings on the floor? A mouse dropping is like a small grain of black rice. A rats dropping is about 3 times bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I find mice lick off the peanut butter A bit of raw rasher tie on with thread works much better.. No need to feel sick about this, you cannot expect your floor to be clinically clean it never will be and havin everythin covered in disinfectant really only harms the child's immune system

Agree totally, I'm all for a bit of clean dirt, but things like counters, tables tops etc need to be cleaned. Also if she now thinks its a small rat she will need to totally clean the place especially with a small child crawling around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

We got up this morning and there was a mouse (alive) in the toilet! Is there any chance he came up the shore into the toilet or is it more likely he was inside the house and climbed into the toilet? We have a baby crawling downstairs so I feel physically ill about this. :(

When I lived in NY and was doing maintenance in apartment buildings, rats occasionally came up through the toilet, no joke. I don't know if mice can manage this, they're probably not as hardy.

For peace of mind you're probably as well off getting Rentokil or some other crowd to come in and give your place the once over. You'll drive yourself mad looking out for the little feckers, especially with the baby on the go.

jr22 wrote: »
    When I lived in NY and was doing maintenance in apartment buildings, rats occasionally came up through the toilet, no joke. I don't know if mice can manage this, they're probably not as hardy.

For peace of mind you're probably as well off getting Rentokil or some other crowd to come in and give your place the once over. You'll drive yourself mad looking out for the little feckers, especially with the baby on the go.

I'd love to get rentokil but not sure what it costs? Any ideas? If its dependent on house size, it's just a small terraced house

i think if you had a small rat in the bowl, it would look like a monster. Terraced house is bad news, often the attics are not properly sealed between properties. Having said , mice are on the move indoors now that the weather is getting colder , and I don't believe these is such a thing as a mouse proof house. i would suggest a good cat , but you are really only substituting a small furry rodent, for a large furry rodent.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jr22

I'd love to get rentokil but not sure what it costs? Any ideas? If its dependent on house size, it's just a small terraced house

Not sure what they cost, as far as I know there's flat fee options and longer term multi-visit options. I grew up on a farm and we had to get them out a few times for major rat infestations so it was a totally different situation.

There's a few other operators popping up in Google too. It's probably best to ring around and see what the options are and press them all for some quotes. No fun having some fella arriving in a full on 'Outbreak' suit doing his best to scare you into paying a fortune for what sounds like a not so major issue.

Good luck with it, hope you can get it sorted fairly cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Don't worry. They always seem bigger in your imagination when thinking back.

In the dark, I thought this lad was a stray cat - gave it food :o

gctest50 wrote: »
    In the dark, I thought this lad was a stray cat - gave it food :o

I must say , gttest50, your loo looks to be on the basic side! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

You have to accept that there are mice all around us and occassionally, they get into the house.
    I know this has upset you, but it happens us all sometimes.

A few years ago, an overground garden next door was cleared and the mice that were living there all arrived in my house.
    I got 8 mice in traps over a week ( I felt like Pol Pot by the end of the week).

Get some traps - I agree that choc spread or peanut butter are good baits. The whole thing might be over in 48 hours.

Clean your floors and work surfaces and remember that kids are hardier than we think. Wait until you find your toddler eating chewing gum off a road, or licking the bottom of a shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Don't worry. They always seem bigger in your imagination when thinking back. Any droppings on the floor? A mouse dropping is like a small grain of black rice. A rats dropping is about 3 times bigger

Yes I Mouse dropping is like tea leaves
    Rat droppings are like small pellets.

Check press under sink and hot press .
    They can follow pipes from Hot press all over the house.
    We rented a terraced house for a while the attached attics are a disaster .

Anyone's we caught using traps were either In hot press or under sinks

huskerdu wrote: »
    You have to accept that there are mice all around us and occassionally, they get into the house.
    I know this has upset you, but it happens us all sometimes.

A few years ago, an overground garden next door was cleared and the mice that were living there all arrived in my house.
    I got 8 mice in traps over a week ( I felt like Pol Pot by the end of the week).

Get some traps - I agree that choc spread or peanut butter are good baits. The whole thing might be over in 48 hours.

Clean your floors and work surfaces and remember that kids are hardier than we think. Wait until you find your toddler eating chewing gum off a road, or licking the bottom of a shoe.

Caught the toddler drinking out of the plastic bowl that the toilet brush stands in.
    I was so shocked, all I could thank of was to get her to spit. She thought that was great fun too!

good job her mum isn't on here......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Between now and Christmas is the danger time for mice. Mice tend to come into houses a lot more often than rats. I remember one year, we had about 12 of them and then got a cat and there wasn't any mice anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement