Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic water tank insulation

Options
  • 22-09-2013 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Is it OK to simply wrap the earthwool insulation used for attic floor and wrap some around the tank?
    This is what the builders did. They tell me its fine but it looks messy and I would have thought a lagging jacket would be best.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Make sure the tank has a lid. Then the insulation should be in plastic containment. The tank lagging jackets that you can buy are pretty poor.
    I, myself, built mine with rigid Kingspan polyiso boards, enveloping the whole of the tank apart from underneath it. I used wire coat hangers cut into pieces, formed into V shapes & pushed into the sides to hold each corner of the boards to each other, etc. Worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Linto

shane0007 wrote: »
    Make sure the tank has a lid. Then the insulation should be in plastic containment. The tank lagging jackets that you can buy are pretty poor.
    I, myself, built mine with rigid Kingspan polyiso boards, enveloping the whole of the tank apart from underneath it. I used wire coat hangers cut into pieces, formed into V shapes & pushed into the sides to hold each corner of the boards to each other, etc. Worked a treat.
    Why is the plastic containment important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Linto wrote: »
    Why is the plastic containment important?

2 reasons. One to stop bits of insulation fibres from falling into your water tank. Also a wee mouse may like to build his home in said insulation & may be pooping into your tank, admittedly unknowingly!
    Second reason, if the insulation is laid across the tank, the evaporation will soak into your insulation. Once fibre insulation gets wet it is useless.

Advertisement