Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Son got part job.. needs to Open Bank Acc. Help

Options
  • 22-09-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Hi...

No.1 son (18yrs) got a part-time job over coming weeks - and needs to open an account for his wages.

he wont be taking in €1,500 so wont benefit from PTSB fees as a result.

So:
    1. Who is giving Students the best 'add-ons' etc. Travel Cards, etc
    2. Who offered FREE gadget insurance recently for phones and laptops..???

Was think that as I will have to take time off to drive him to town to sort same - that I should open at least 2 x accounts in different banks. He already in Credit Union so any excess will be transferred monthly and saved therein!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Masala wrote: »
    Hi...

No.1 son (18yrs) got a part-time job over coming weeks - and needs to open an account for his wages.

he wont be taking in €1,500 so wont benefit from PTSB fees as a result.

So:
    1. Who is giving Students the best 'add-ons' etc. Travel Cards, etc
    2. Who offered FREE gadget insurance recently for phones and laptops..???

Was think that as I will have to take time off to drive him to town to sort same - that I should open at least 2 x accounts in different banks. He already in Credit Union so any excess will be transferred monthly and saved therein!

He's 18. Let him open his own. Don't be holding his hand.
    All the main banks offer students free banking.
    Aib were giving out free travel card vouchers to new accounts last year but don't know if they still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Scortho wrote: »
    He's 18. Let him open his own. Don't be holding his hand.

+ 1

Kids these days think they know everything until they are asked to do somthing important, then realise they know nothing because their parents have always done it for them

When I was 17 and needed a bank account, I went off down to the local bank and did it myself. When my son turned 18 and needed a bank account his mother insisted on bringing him to a bank and doing it with him! We are raising a generation of idiots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP it doesn't matter if you drive your son to the bank or not regardless of the what the other posters said. Your son was mature and intelligent enough to get a job in the this difficult economy. Well done for him.

AIB are the best for student accounts. Their income banking is really good. Their staff know what they are doing(BOI staff generally don't know the company policy in my experience). Plus aib give a free travel card voucher.

There is no harm in your son having two account. One for his wages to be put in. And also an account he transfers money into for day-to-day spending so he doesn't blow all of his pay. I would get him to use rabodirect rather than the CU for saving. As Rabo is far easier to the transfer money to

Advertisement