Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for use of photo - how is this generally done.

Options
  • 22-09-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

I've gotten a request on flickr from someone who wants to use one of my photos in an advertisement.
    It's a one off advertisement in an industry publication. The publication is to do with electronic equipment.

I'm not a billing professional photographer, so unsure how it works.mcsn someone advise how I might deal with this.

Things I'm interested in particular are

-can I keep ownership of the image, and just give permission to use?
    -whats a usual charge for someone using a Photo in this situation?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

When pricing a photograph there are a few things to take into account:
    - How long do they want to use your photo
    - Where are they going to use it (what countries)
    - What platforms (websites, adverts, printing etc)
    - Is it an exclusive purchase (can you reuse the photograph/sell to others while this ad is running and/or after)
    - How many people will see the advert

Unless otherwise stated you own the copyright for your photograph even if you license them to use it.

This is something to give you a little guide but the prices can be a bit high sometimes. A very general estimate would be €200-500 depending on all the above queries being filled in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

It turns out they wanted use of it for a company promotional ad, but wanted it for close to free (offered 20 quid). I politely declined. sure it would be nice to be published, but undervaluing your work is never a good idea IMO.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

If it helps for reference, I got contacted by a person looking to use a photo of mine for promotional purposes. I allowed free use (with watermarked credit and copyright details on it) as a banner on a Facebook page but requested €200 for any print media that would be distributed in a given local area. I have supplied the picture with watermark for FB use, but no request has yet been made for the print image....

Regards

Advertisement