Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Irish Exam- Still a Requirement?

Options
  • 22-09-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of ye know if the First Irish exam (or equivalent) is still a requirement as I noticed on the Law socities website that the only steps to "becoming" a solictior are:

"Steps to qualification as a solicitor:

The Preliminary Examination (for non-Graduates)
    The Final Examination - First Part (entrance examination)
    The Training Contract (24 months in duration)
    The Professional Practice Courses (PPC I & PPC II)
    "
    I also couldn't find any information on the site about the first Irish exam, but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭subrosa

Have a look at the Legal Practitioners (Irish Language) Act 2008 in particular section 2(c)
    The Society shall provide a course of instruction in Irish legal terminology and the understanding of legal texts in the Irish language to all persons undertaking the Professional Practice Course. Such course shall not be subject to examination

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ilusa

Thanks Subrosa,

From my reading of that there's no exam through Irish prior to starting the Professional Practicionners course, and even then it's entirely optional. Is that the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

There a course that you have to complete. No exam. Go through the motions if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭subrosa

Yip, it's just going through the motions. Kings Inns have a course (I assume the Law Society is much the same) which is mandatory but has no final exam. If you attend all the lectures, you pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

subrosa wrote: »
    Yip, it's just going through the motions. Kings Inns have a course (I assume the Law Society is much the same) which is mandatory but has no final exam. If you attend all the lectures, you pass.

KI has an online course you have to complete too. You are proficient in ctrl+c and ctrl+v by the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

NoQuarter wrote: »
    KI has an online course you have to complete too. You are proficient in ctrl+c and ctrl+v by the end of it.

What, barristers won't use a mouse?! It's traditionalism gone mad!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

What, barristers won't use a mouse?! It's traditionalism gone mad!

Barristers use voice activated commands. Program responds only to D4-Dort accent:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Double post, sorry

Advertisement