Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dusting off the cobwebs

Options
  • 22-09-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

The new season's here and I managed to get out to my favourite dark site for an all nighter a few weeks ago. There were the usual hiccups and things didn't go perfectly smoothly but I did manage to get about an hour's worth of good data on M31 before the early dawn brought the session to a close.

After having some experience with a trial version of Pixinsight earlier in the year, I was reluctant to go back to Photoshop even though my PI results were far from optimal (very noisy). A couple of weeks later, I splashed out on PI and got stuck into getting some practice with it. I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it now.

With the fresh and archived M31 data, I had a total of 5hrs total exposure and was keen to see what kind of results I could get with it. I couldn't be happier with this for a result, although there are some strange shadowing areas visible above the satellite galaxies. Something weird happened with the registration files. There may be some light frames that don't have the correct flats or something.

Anyway, here's;
    30x 600s subs @ ISO800
    Darks/Flats/Bias calibrated
    450d, CG5-GT, ED80, PHD-Guided
    Calibrated, registered, stacked and processed with Pixinsight.

9880029625_3bf08c01a3_c.jpg
    M31 by .Tzetze., on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

SUPER SHOT !!!! ONE FOR THE WALL!

Ps , i hate you . ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

New Screen background :) - Congrats again TzeTze, magnificient shot.

A long way to go for me .... !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Absolutely stunning pic.

Probably the best I have seen from these shores.

And I concur with Zeroy . . . its also a long way off for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tigermorrissey

Wow , amazing , keep up the good work !

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

truly magnificent--congrats and thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Thanks guys. I'm delighted with this I have to say. This might be one to get printed out as a poster for the wall - maybe even splash out on a canvas print!

Ian, I'm touched that you would feel such a strong emotion towards me! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Great Stuff Tzetze! I'm beginning to think your dark site is inside a planetarium somewhere. It's the only explanation for your unique access to clear skies in this country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

I think i know his secret.....He definatelly bought this scope.....
    http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/hubble-cassegrain-reflector-telescope.html

On serious note well done Tzetze, as usuall you raised the bar for all of us.Thats easy competition material!Looking at this image i cant wait to go out myself :)

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all your comments.

It's quite amazing what can be achieved with a modest enough setup. The cg5 is very often a frustrating mount to use, but with a bit of TLC and some tweaking it can really produce the goods. Although, I really wouldn't like to try gathering good data at a longer focal length with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Wailin

Stunning image Tzetze, well done. Looking forward to having a go at this one as well. Been so long now it'll be like starting all over again!

Edit: I'm wondering is the image cropped? I thought you would fit in more of the surrounding space with the 80mm and Canon?

• Advertisement

Thanks very much Wailin.
    The image is uncropped. I don't use a focal reducer currently. At the native FL of the 80mm the FOV is just a tad too restrictive for M31.
    Going to order a FR for it tomorrow (first payday in new job)! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Wailin

Tzetze wrote: »
    Thanks very much Wailin.
    The image is uncropped. I don't use a focal reducer currently. At the native FL of the 80mm the FOV is just a tad too restrictive for M31.
    Going to order a FR for it tomorrow (first payday in new job)! :)

Nice one, I have the skywatcher focal reducer and it is superb. Great FOV and completely eliminates oval stars at the corners. You'll find some difference with it, mine is never taken off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I can only imagine how you must feel when you see the results.

Absolutely stunning photo.

Thanks robertxxx, there certainly is a great feeling of satisfaction with such an end result but the part I enjoy the most is gathering good data.

Took delivery of my new reducer and adapter today. Big thanks to Stephen at Ktec - his service is second to none. Looking forward to more dealing with Stephen in the near future.

Advertisement