Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL or CELTA (Money is tight, that's why)

Options
  • 22-09-2013 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hello everyone,

Apart from CELTA being superior than your average TEFL 120 hour course, how does it affect wages and/or job opportunities.

I'm look at Spain or Dubai, preferably Spain.

Does it make a big difference on wages?

Thanks

EDIT: Assuming there are even jobs to be had in either place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Hi Qardaha, a lot of job listings around the world specify that candidates must have a CELTA or equivalent qualification. Also, if you would like to get work in Ireland or the UK with a recognised school, CELTA or a qualification of equal standing is a prerequisite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

As far as I'm aware, to get a decent teaching job in Europe, you'd need a CELTA (or potentially even a DELTA). In Asia, where I work, having a CELTA does equate to a higher salary, although not by any significant factor, and better opportunities. It takes you out of the entry-level jobs and moves you upwards in a way that my TEFL didn't. However, the real rub is that if you've got a CELTA and a few years' experience, you could also apply to be an IELTS examiner, which is where the real money is nowadays. I've recently become one - needed my CELTA and three years' experience teaching adults - but my salary has exponentially grown doing IELTS part-time and teaching full-time. Would that I could just do IELTS, I'd be in a great position, but sadly the visa situ over here doesn't allow it.

Advertisement