Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19th Century military records

Options
  • 22-09-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

I am trying to trace my GGG Grandfather Walter Glover who was listed as a soldier on his daughter's marriage cert in 1848. I have tracked him down to Castletownbere in 1822. I suspect he may have been stationed at the military/naval base on Bere Island. I have a record of the birth of his first son there in 1822.
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/a303e20155788
    Searching through military records online the only record I have found is the one posted below. Does anyone know if I can get more details or anything that might verify if this is the Walter I am looking for.

First Name: Walter
    Initials: W
    Surname: Glover
    Nationality: British
    Campaign Medals:
    Naval General Service Medal

Clasps Awarded: St. Domingo

Service: Royal Navy
    Ship: hms donegal

Any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

all I can add a rough timeframe for that entry..

'Naval General Service Medal 1793-1840, Surviving men entitled to Naval General Service Medal clasps for actions between 1793 and 1827'

suspect you might have to check for actual records in London (Kew or Maritime Museum etc) to see if there are more details - e.g. crew lists etc.. They dont usually give family details, but might include details of where his ship was based at various times.

There were several ships named H.M.S. Donegal, but the one that fits best was captured from the French in 1798.

edit : you can try searching the National Archives London online for possible reference - see : here
    If you find a reference to the ship, or even that Walter Glover, you may be able pay for a download document.

Search results for the various HMS Donegal Ships

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Shane, you must have a pain reading so many posts from me trying to find Walter ! He is the link that will show me where my family originated so I can't give. I even managed to find a fabulous illustrated report from Bere Island in 1824.

Bere Island in Bantry Bay with a review of its effective powers as a Fortfied Place. Written by Lt Alexander Alcock, Royal Artillery, 1824.
    I also found a record of Baptisms going back to 1795 including military personnel but unfortunately no sign of Walter. I will check with Kew to see what I can find on the HMS Donegal.
    I will keep on trying, eventually something will show up.
    Cheers

A very kind Boardsie found this for me on Ancestry (Thanks Dido ;))
    Does anyone know what the comments under Observations refer to. It says Birmingham opposite Walter's name, he hardly sailed from there so does that mean he was from Birmingham ??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Very hard to know - looking at other comments, some have a place, some have a date, some have the name of a ship. you could try posting in a military or navy forum on Rootschat to find someone who might be more familiar with these types of records?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I will give that a go Pinky, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

I find the column “reference to application” could be a useful lead to follow up.

The number S/424 seems to be an index of some sort and it might appear elsewhere in that book?

Could “S” mean ship’s book?

I find the column “reference to application” could be a useful lead to follow up.

The number S/424 seems to be an index of some sort and it might appear elsewhere in that book?

Could “S” mean ship’s book?

You are right, it has to be a reference of some sort. I have stuck it up on Rootschat and hopefully someone might be able to decipher it. I have also emailed it to a military researcher that I used in the past. So here's hoping....

Advertisement