Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Records from UK, India, Canada.

Options
  • 22-09-2013 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I have found a UK birth record on Ancestry.co.uk and wondering how do I go about getting a copy? Also how can I get a record of a birth in India 1860's, and a death record from Canada 1990's. I think its getting too complicated now for my skills at this stage but any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

UK GRO for the UK (English/Welsh) one. Not hugely fast or cheap but they post to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Also how can I get a death record from Canada 1990's?

It depends on the Province.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Official Website for UK GRO (England/Wales certs) : here

I think you'll find recent Canadian records restricted - most seem to be accessible by direct descendants only.

re the birth in India worth looking at the Fibis website and also the India Office section of the British Library website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

mod9maple wrote: »
    It depends on the Province.

Thanks everyone for the info. The 1990's death was in Saskatchewan. I can understand there are restrictions about getting copies, but now just wondering if there is any way to get sight of the death notice in a newspaper maybe? I've worn old Mr. Google out at this stage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Newspaper archives pre-mid-90s are generally not free online (not that recent/current ones are often free anymore); I'd be looking for a Canadian or specifically Saskatchewan equivalent of the INA or BNA. Even if the content is free its generally not indexed by search engines.

Bear in mind that not every death is either reported or has a published death notice; its not an infalliable source of info. I would definitely not exclude looking at national papers - I was mystified as to why one member of my family didn't have a death notice in the Nenagh Guardian, it was because they'd put it in the Indo instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the info. The 1990's death was in Saskatchewan. I can understand there are restrictions about getting copies, but now just wondering if there is any way to get sight of the death notice in a newspaper maybe? I've worn old Mr. Google out at this stage.

http://www.ehealthsask.ca/vitalstats/Documents/Who%20Can%20Apply%20for%20a%20Death%20Certificate.pdf

If any of these apply you can order online. If you know any of the first three listed then:

"A person authorized by an eligible person above in writing."

Unfortunately:

"Genealogical photocopies are generally used for gathering family history (trees) – anyone is eligible as long as the Death happened more than 70 years ago."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I'm out of luck then, the death is too recent and I'm not a close relative. I may leave this one to future generations.

Advertisement