Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath shouting for Mayo.

Options
  • 21-09-2013 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

Tremendously funny to see the inferiority complex being displayed by Meath supporters as they by and large shout for Mayo tomorrow. Their often mentioned dislike of Mayo after the 96 final just hasn't gone away and It must be truly galling to the Royal faithful to be left with no choice but to shout for Mayo such is the chip on their shoulder with their neighbours.

Back in the old days I thought it was common place to shout for your provincial team should one of them get to a final, even your neighbour such is the sportsmanship of the GAA. That , I thought, was the ethos of the GAA. Maybe its just more prevalent in hurling and not so much in a football only county.

Is there a particular reason why Meath are shouting for Mayo (in fairness there's no bad blood between Dubs and Meath) or is it just that they find themselves incapable of cheering on their more successful neighbour.

Discuss ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.”
    ― Eleanor Roosevelt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

whatnext wrote: »
    "You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.”
    ― Eleanor Roosevelt

Is she a Meath supporter too !

But fair comment. I couldnt care less myself which way they swing, I'm just so surprised to see so many sell out due to envy or jealousy. It really is immature behavior don't you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Tremendously funny to see the inferiority complex being displayed by Meath supporters as they by and large shout for Mayo tomorrow. Their often mentioned dislike of Mayo after the 96 final just hasn't gone away and It must be truly galling to the Royal faithful to be left with no choice but to shout for Mayo such is the chip on their shoulder with their neighbours.

Back in the old days I thought it was common place to shout for your provincial team should one of them get to a final, even your neighbour such is the sportsmanship of the GAA. That , I thought, was the ethos of the GAA. Maybe its just more prevalent in hurling and not so much in a football only county.

Is there a particular reason why Meath are shouting for Mayo (in fairness there's no bad blood between Dubs and Meath) or is it just that they find themselves incapable of cheering on their more successful neighbour.

Discuss ....

hmmm Dublin fans always cheer against Meath when they play a double header in Croke Park,its called rivalry.
    But i know many people from Meath who are cheering for Dublin tomorrow as they are their neighbours and from the same province.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Is she a Meath supporter too !

But fair comment. I couldnt care less myself which way they swing, I'm just so surprised to see so many sell out due to envy or jealousy. It really is immature behavior don't you think!
    Immature behaviour is pretty much being personified by yourself. You're comments in the Mayo thread are pathetic, and now you start this thread cribbing over Meath men supporting Mayo. I can only imagine the piss that Mayo man left in your cornflakes.

Tell me, why is it so important what other people do? And why the such intense dislike for Mayo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

THFC wrote: »
    Immature behaviour is pretty much being personified by yourself. You're comments in the Mayo thread are pathetic, and now you start this thread cribbing over Meath men supporting Mayo. I can only imagine the piss that Mayo man left in your cornflakes.

Tell me, why is it so important what other people do? And why the such intense dislike for Mayo?

Nice to know you follow me around THFC. Didn't I hand you your arse a few times in the Spurs thread or do you just like stalking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Be like Tipp or Wexford shouting for kilkenny- never gona happen!!
    Happens with all neighbouring counties, just a bit if craic at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

Personally, I think the media is being swamped by Mayo trolls awaiting the canonisation of 'Inda' as the man what won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Its like Cork and Kerry. 80% of both sets of supporters would love to see the other team beaten especially along the border areas. Most of Kerry will be supporting Clare next week because its Cork they are playing and not for the fact that Clare dont win it too often.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Discuss ....
    Or maybe it's because a massive portion of Meath's population originated from Mayo in the 1940s thanks to the Land Commission, including my 90 year old grandmother and several aunts and uncles.
    And don't try and make it seem like Dublin fans don't shout for Meath's opponents when they play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Nice to know you follow me around THFC. Didn't I hand you your arse a few times in the Spurs thread or do you just like stalking?

Didn't you what? No, don't think so. Your posts in general can be summed up by your past few previous posts on this forum.

And following you around? Lol I frequent 2 threads that have to do with the biggest game this year.

Anyway, I'll let others make up their own mind. I'm sure you'll be handing me my arse again so I'm not gonna reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Plantation lads.
    A lot of Mayo folk landed in Meath so it's no surprise as there is generations there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

For what it's worth I hope ye both lose, I'll just support whoever Mayo play in the minor.....oh Tyrone you say, feck that!
    Manchester derby it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

This thread has failed!!!

Best of luck to Dublin and mayo tomorrow!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

This thread has failed!!!

Best of luck to Dublin and mayo tomorrow!!!

The OP has failed. No input to any thread on the GAA in the last few days, just wants to incite.

• Site Banned Posts: 16 steve_wonder

Discuss ....

meaths ( alledged ) lack of good will towards their neighbours is in the happeny place compared to the miserly attitude mayo,s neighbours have , im referring to galway , they absolutely hate to see mayo win any match

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Meath people work alongside a lot of Dubs and want the upper hand on Monday.

Also Mayo haven't won in years.

Mayo fans might hate meath over an old game, but meath won and won again since so they don't really mind Mayo.

Also the boys from the west are hard to hate, apart from themselves everyone likes connaught teams,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

When Meath were handing Kildare a surprise baytin' in last years Leinster champo, I found myself shouting myself hoarse for Meath. I don't know who was more surprised, me or all the Meath people around me. ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote: »
    When Meath were handing Kildare a surprise batin' in last years Leinster champo, I shouted myself hoarse for Meath. I don't know who was more surprised, me or the Meath people around me.
    I did the very same thing, I was shocked, it was great stuff, meath are a team that genuinely have great heart and know how to win in a final if they get there.

Plus there was a time years ago when the Sunday papers had articles about how meath had taken Dublins place as the most hated county, so I kind of relate to them.
    Meath were always good when they won or lost (apart from the Louth thing)
    They never moaned about the ref or how intimidating the opposition was, they just came back the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever get over 1991, or pay off the therapy bill from it. But there is something very satisfying about seeing a once formidable rival picking itself up off the mat & go about the business of transforming itself into a rival again. That is what that day felt like. They may never be the rival to us that they once were, but you couldn't but respect them for the balls they showed that day and, wish them well.
    Up to a point of course. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement