Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating: Can I close an post children's deposit account?

Options
  • 21-09-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi guys.

We're thinking about emigrating and I need to know if its possible to close a children's deposit account from an post if we do.

The account book says that no withdrawals are to be made before the child's 7th birthday (our eldest is not quite there yet), but I'm wondering is there an option for taking it out early? Closing the account even?

Ill go into the post office and enquire next week but I'd really like to have some prior knowledge about it first. It's really hard to find out any information on it on the web, so it would be great if anyone here had any info or advise on the matter.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Apparently with standard accounts that are reluctant to let you close the account. But let you have a 1 cent balance. They won't let me close my childhood account, but have a 1 cent balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcnamac7

I think they make exceptions in some circumstances, best off to ring, text, or email them! All their details are on the state savings website. You could get the address changed to your new address and leave the money on deposit, when you want to close it when they reach 7 you can fill out a repayment form that you can download online and send it off with the book! But best off ringing them first!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mindful

mcnamac7 wrote: »
    I think they make exceptions in some circumstances, best off to ring, text, or email them! All their details are on the state savings website. You could get the address changed to your new address and leave the money on deposit, when you want to close it when they reach 7 you can fill out a repayment form that you can download online and send it off with the book! But best off ringing them first!

Thanks!

It turns out there are some exceptions to the rule and it is possible :-)

Advertisement