Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoI VISA Debit Card

Options
  • 21-09-2013 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Question people as I can't get a straight answer from the bank on this one.

I have a Bank of Ireland Visa Debit Card. I DONT have an overdraft facility on my account.

However, whenever I changed my card from a standard ATM one to a VISA Debit I discovered I could go overdrawn on it which is handy even if you have to pay the penalty fees.

I would typically be able to take about about 50 - 70% of the cash I had through the cash back service. There for, if I only have €50 in my account I could take out €75 even when I was going overdrawn every week.

Now though even though my account is in a much much better state I'm unable to do it. I don't owe them anything and always paid my bills. One BoI agent said they tightened up on it, another didn't know, another said it depends on the individual etc etc.

Anyone else experienced this since early August?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

There's a thing called Tolerance where they'll just let you overdraw by a certain amount (at their discretion) sometimes. Most people never notice it cos it generally only comes into play when a DD that probably should have been returned gets paid. They probably removed this from the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cinel Moen

There's a thing called Tolerance where they'll just let you overdraw by a certain amount (at their discretion) sometimes. Most people never notice it cos it generally only comes into play when a DD that probably should have been returned gets paid. They probably removed this from the account.

Never heard of that before tbh but thanks. That make things a bit clearer. Why couldn't the agents just tell me that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Cinel Moen wrote: »
    Never heard of that before tbh but thanks. That make things a bit clearer. Why couldn't the agents just tell me that?

It's an unofficial credit facility. They may not have been aware of it tbh. Some banks are weird and keep that under their hats cos it's really meant to be for 'good' customers in case of emergency. It's almost always at the discretion of the branch manager or the retail credit department and most people in the bank probably wouldn't be aware of it, even if you ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP I noticed that everyone in tesco was buying €1 items and getting €50 cash back

Advertisement