Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nirvana - In Utero 20th Anniversary edition

Options
  • 21-09-2013 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭

So...I bought it today. It rocks :cool:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭Penfailed

561395_10151929600432292_922764350_n.jpg

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

Nice! What's the 2013 mix like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Listening to the 2013 mix. It's interesting. Some tracks (extra guitar parts, backing vocals and cello) get dropped in a lot of parts of songs. Serve the Servants solo is different Very Ape's lead guitar plays the whole way rather than coming in and out. I'd be curious to know who in the Nirvana camp may look on this as the definitive version of the album especially given they had Steve Albini back to work on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The original Albini mixes of Heart Shaped Box and All Apologies are interesting. Rawer and guitar mixed higher in the choruses. I think I prefer them.

The 2013 mixes are great.

Jesus that man had some howl on him. Shivers down the spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

I remember the build up to In Utero coming out, and the first time I heard Heart Shaped Box I was working in a shop and just stood under the radio speaker for the entire 4 minutes, ignoring everything else. Then I bought the CD single, which had Milk It and Marigold as b sides. This was much more up my alley than Nevermind, which by then had become ubiquitous and seemingly generic - at least, at the time, it felt that *everyone* owned and played it. Little kids in knee-length Nirvana t shirts running around and what not.

Oh The Guilt was the song that turned me back around to them; would've been nice if that song had gone on the album, along with Sappy - but then again, it was what it was.

I'll also remember Larry Gogan's mispronunciation of "Utero" when he played them on the radio... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Really most stand out difference for me was you can hear what Kurt says at the beginning of Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, other than that ? not worth the money regards content vs previous deluxe reissues, very light on actually new stuff, the live and loud stuff is good, but I would much rather watch that then just listen (personal preference)

Advertisement