Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing rads, fed off a preinstalled backboiler

Options
  • 20-09-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi All,
    my mother has no CH in her house, only an open fire with a backboiler for hot water,in winter with a roaring fire the water in the tank BOILS:eek:,So i am considering replacing the hot tank with a dual coil type and running 2 rads in the bedrooms(a very short run) off the tank via a pump.I'd really appreciate any informative input:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I don't think the op has a wraparound I think it's a domestic back boiler (flue set ) if so it will need to be changed to a wraparound as a flue set won't heat feck all rads

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Plus the cylinder could be direct feed with copper lined boiler, probably an 8 x 2" boiler heat won't heat no rads as said, but boil water all fecken day.

Never heard of flue set boiler Robbie, what's that? Is it like a pot belly where the boiler is the flue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

shane0007 wrote: »
    You won't need to change the cylinder to a dual coil cylinder unless you are also going to install a second heat source such as an oil boiler.
    You already have a primary gravity circuit to the coil so all you need to do is tee off the primaries, install a pump wired to a pipe stat located on the flow as close as possible to the back boiler & continue the newly installed secondary circuit to the new rads. (No TRV's though)

I think op has a coppor box boiler and a direct cylindre. Did you not think about this before giving misleading advice. Without finding out more.?
    Radiators will rust through and flood his house within two years.

Tut tut and Dito.

Hmmmm.....

All you had to do is ask did he have two tanks in the attic, a big one and a small one, and take it from there.

Ps Booter.
    what do you have in the attic and if you can post photo of boiler in fireplace it would help us to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

scudo2 wrote: »
    I think op has a coppor box boiler and a direct cylindre. Did you not think about this before giving misleading advice. Without finding out more.?

Tut tut and Dito.

Hmmmm.....

All you had to do is ask did he have two tanks in the attic, a big one and a small one, and take it from there.

Ps Booter.
    what do you have in the attic and if you can post photo of boiler in fireplace it would help us to help you.

You know what, you really are a troll. You just can't leave it. Are looking to ruin every thread for every poster?

You know what, you really are a troll. You just can't leave it. Are looking to ruin every thread for every poster?

I'm not trying to ruin post I'm just trying to stop BOOTSER distroying his house.

Your the one who gave the advice !!
    Need I say more ?

Ps. I never called you names.
    You out of line again.

As I've said before:
    "I haven't done anything wrong"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Enjoy....
    I've had enough of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bootser

Hi guys, not sure what type of boiler, ill try post some pics later but what I can tell you is that behind the fire basket there is a sort of copper plate above which is a removable cover which needs to be cleaned behind regularly.Now I'm working from memory at mo and I haven't lived at home for some time;) The house is a council terrace built circa 1950 as far as I know there is only one tank in the attic but ill check! Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Its a direct feed system, you will need new indirect copper cylinder.

If its a Stanley 8 or similar it is handy enough to retro fit a rap around steel boiler.

You will need a 10 gallon feed and expansion tank for the heating system installed in attic.

7/8 rads could be run from range.

Your probably looking at somewhere between 2-3 k.

bootser wrote: »
    Hi guys, not sure what type of boiler, ill try post some pics later but what I can tell you is that behind the fire basket there is a sort of copper plate above which is a removable cover which needs to be cleaned behind regularly.Now I'm working from memory at mo and I haven't lived at home for some time;) The house is a council terrace built circa 1950 as far as I know there is only one tank in the attic but ill check! Thanks for the input.

It's a domestic boiler not sutable for heating rads.It needs to be removed and a wrap around back boiler fitted and all assoc tanks fittings etc

Never heard of flue set boiler Robbie, what's that? Is it like a pot belly where the boiler is the flue?[/quote]

A flue set is another name of a domestic boiler the ones we use are made by Bilberry.They are a steel frame with a stainless steel tank used to be copper or ordinary steel with removable and replaceable side cheeks have been fitting them for around 20 years very common in council properties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

I'm not trying to ruin post I'm just trying to stop BOOTSER distroying his house.

Your the one who gave the advice !!
    Need I say more ?

Ps. I never called you names.
    You out of line again.

As I've said before:
    "I haven't done anything wrong"

Tut tut and Dito.

Hmmmm.....

Ps Booter.

Oh for the love of god but would the two of ye cop on and get a hold of yourselves, sick to death of coming onto the heating and plumbing forum and watching ye go at it and making it a laughing stock. Give your bit of advice and then just leave it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

gifted wrote: »
    Oh for the love of god but would the two of ye cop on and get a hold of yourselves, sick to death of coming onto the heating and plumbing forum and watching ye go at it and making it a laughing stock. Give your bit of advice and then just leave it :mad:

have to agree 100% its been a joke here recently since about july I have hardly logged on at all I know I personally love to log on and learn and give my tuppence worth where I find I can help theres always conflict lately and its a case of lets see whos balls are the biggest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Jaysus this place is becoming overrun with emotions

Just pointing out the fact of what it feels like to be corrected in an unfrendly way. Its called

"a taste of your own medicine !"

I promise to give polite replys to nice polite questions and opinions.

I think I got my message across. (I hope)

Hope and am sorry if all this has annoyed the rest of you.

Ill stop now. Thanks

Just pointing out the fact of what it feels like to be corrected in an unfrendly way. Its called
    "a taste of your own medicine !"

I promise to give polite replys to nice polite questions and opinions.

Ill stop now. Thanks

please do and boards can go back to what it was and in future if you don't agree just remember this saying an old guy said to me many moons ago

amateurs built the ark
    professionals built the titanic

jimf wrote: »
    please do and boards can go back to what it was and in future if you don't agree just remember this saying an old guy said to me many moons ago

amateurs built the ark

Didn't the titanic sink? :)

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Didn't the titanic sink? :)

that's the point exactly dtp pros can get it wrong too so everybody is entitled to their opinion

that's the point exactly dtp pros can get it wrong too so everybody is entitled to their opinion

Ah yes. Well said jim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

amateurs built the ark

Not a fair comparison. The ark did not have a boiler on board. ;)

Cerco wrote: »
    Not a fair comparison. The ark did not have a boiler on board. ;)

fair point but I thought it was an iceberg that sank the titanic not a burst boiler

• Advertisement

fair point but I thought it was an iceberg that sank the titanic not a burst boiler

I've serviced boilers on ships and there still afloat ( I hope). English sailing ship the Lord Nelson been one when it docked in Cobh 2008, old Selectos burner with a cracked electrodes.

Advertisement