Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Registered Post

Options
  • 20-09-2013 7:44pm

I had to send to my brother in Rep. of Ireland. Price €5.25

I couldnt believe the price of it as I was fully sure Id sent a registered letter to my other brother in Brisbane for around the same price.

I just checked on An Post website. http://postage.anpost.ie/transit.asp
    I was right....€5.17 to Australia

Its actually cheaper to send the same letter by registered post to the other side of the world than it is within the 26 counties of Ireland.

Can someone explain this to me please? Is there an obvious reason which Im missing???

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 173 ✭✭stevie1122

They can charge what they want because they don't have any competition in this country unless your running a business anpost is your only option and with the current economic climate I doubt they will have any competition any time soon. The tracking system for registered postage is also a joke and is of no help if you need to use it as proof of postage if somebody opens a paypal claim against you because it only goes as far as when the item enters the country it's going to and paypal expect proof of it arriving at the actual address house number and all.

I shipped a 3kg parcel to the US last week the value of the contents was 250euro it cost me 45 to post it but the most I was allowed to insure for was 35euro because it was being sent outside the EU absolutely ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭198321

I haven't noticed that with registered post, will talk to my friends about that and im sure they are not going to believe me. Thats mad !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

post servcies other than standard post within eu includes vat at 23%
    post to outside the eu does not have vat.

the cost of registration element should not really be that different no matter where the letter is going, as its simply collecting a signature.

so in the an post case, the registered element is 4.65 incl vat for ireland, (3.52 excl vat) whereas its 4.27 excluding vat for oz (deducting 90c postage).

So excluding vat there's an extra 75c charge for oz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I posted 1 PS3 game earlier which I thought would be classed as Large Envelope so should only have cost €1.50. It says so here http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/whatareyousending.htm

in9umb.jpg

But as you can see from the receipt below I was charged for Packet rate of €3 even though it only weighed 120 g, which is well below the Large Envelope limit of 500 g. It should have been within the allowed dimensions as well as it was only a single PS3 game. I'll have to start charging more for postage now which might turn off potential buyers

qq4dv8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭davetherave

TheTorment wrote: »
    I had to send to my brother in Rep. of Ireland. Price €5.25

I couldnt believe the price of it as I was fully sure Id sent a registered letter to my other brother in Brisbane for around the same price.

I just checked on An Post website. http://postage.anpost.ie/transit.asp
    I was right....€5.17 to Australia

Its actually cheaper to send the same letter by registered post to the other side of the world than it is within the 26 counties of Ireland.

Can someone explain this to me please? Is there an obvious reason which Im missing???

The €5.25 rate within Ireland is for a 50 gram letter/large letter or packet.
    The €5.17 rate you are saying to outside Europe is for a letter only. If you were send a bulky or oddly shaped item of the same weight it could have been €7.05.

If you posted same from UK via Royal Mail w/confirmed delivery it would be £7.80.
    €7.35 for a comparable service with LaPoste
    €7.15 from DeutchePost

jamescd wrote: »
    I posted 1 PS3 game earlier which I thought would be classed as Large Envelope so should only have cost €1.50. It says so here http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/whatareyousending.htm

http://i44.tinypic.com/in9umb.jpg

But as you can see from the receipt below I was charged for Packet rate of €3 even though it only weighed 120 g, which is well below the Large Envelope limit of 500 g. It should have been within the allowed dimensions as well as it was only a single PS3 game. I'll have to start charging more for postage now which might turn off potential buyers

http://i39.tinypic.com/qq4dv8.jpg

Could the box/padded envelope have made it deeper than the allowed 2.5cm for large envelopes?

• Advertisement

Could the box/padded envelope have made it deeper than the allowed 2.5cm for large envelopes?

Don't think so. The PS3 game on it's own is only 1.4 cm deep. With the envelope it should only be like 1.8cm - 2 cm max (and that's being generous).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just buy a pack of 60c (national) & 90c (international) stamps. put one of each on yourself, bypassing the post office completely.

just buy a pack of 60c (national) & 90c (international) stamps. put one of each on yourself, bypassing the post office completely.

Have you tried that ? Does it work ?

Don't want the buyers thinking I scammed them if it doesn't arrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Have you tried that ? Does it work ?

Don't want the buyers thinking I scammed them if it doesn't arrive

done it multiple times and the item has always gotten there.

done it multiple times and the item has always gotten there.

Cheers, I'll give it a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

stevie1122 wrote: »
    They can charge what they want because they don't have any competition in this country unless your running a business anpost is your only option and with the current economic climate I doubt they will have any competition any time soon. The tracking system for registered postage is also a joke and is of no help if you need to use it as proof of postage if somebody opens a paypal claim against you because it only goes as far as when the item enters the country it's going to and paypal expect proof of it arriving at the actual address house number and all.

I shipped a 3kg parcel to the US last week the value of the contents was 250euro it cost me 45 to post it but the most I was allowed to insure for was 35euro because it was being sent outside the EU absolutely ridiculous.
    I regularly send items by registered post to US. You can enter your an Post tracking number into the USPS website & it's tracked all the way from arrival, customs to delivery/attempted delivery at the recipient's address or signed for at pickup , & the tracking is usually updated within under an hour. The An Post site is also updated, but sometimes takes a few days. I assume you can do the same with other countries postal service websites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

in9umb.jpg

qq4dv8.jpg

Problem is too many post staff are on auto pilot.

I used to put a little sticker on top right stating the service I wanted.

These days, you simply buy the stamps you need and place them on yourself - all post offices have stamp printers, so you have a stash of 1.50, 2.10, 3.00 or whatever stamps and place them on yourself and just pop into the postbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

You can have stamps with € 1.50 or any other value you like printed at any post office in bulk. If you're posting quite a lot, you should consider your own EasyPost stamp printer (link).

Edit: Sandin was quicker :-)
    sandin wrote: »
    These days, you simply buy the stamps you need and place them on yourself - all post offices have stamp printers, so you have a stash of 1.50, 2.10, 3.00 or whatever stamps and place them on yourself and just pop into the postbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

stevie1122 wrote: »
    The tracking system for registered postage is also a joke and is of no help if you need to use it as proof of postage if somebody opens a paypal claim against you because it only goes as far as when the item enters the country it's going to and paypal expect proof of it arriving at the actual address house number and all.
    Well, this is true for countries like e.g. Austria, while for Germany detailed tracking until sucessfull delivery is provided.
    As for Austria, a proof of delivery is provided on request from the austrian post within a couple of days. Same applies to other countries with poor tracking information (Czech Republic for example).
    I myself prefer to ship all my Standard Post with DHL Global Mail Business, the only exception is registered Post because DHL only offers insurance up to € 30,- while AnPost offer up to € 150,- within Europe.

Advertisement