Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there Irish tax on UK maintenance payments?

Options
  • 20-09-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

In Ireland maintenance payments are tax deductible. They are paid gross. The recipient is liable for tax on the maintenance received.

In the UK maintenance payments are not tax deductible any more. So an Irish tax resident getting maintenance from a ex-spouse in the UK is in receipt of net maintenance payments.

Does anyone know if these net maintenance payments from UK income are subject to taxation in Ireland?

Any help would be most welcome. Thx.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

All spousal maintenance is subject to tax on the part of the person receiving it in Ireland, it's income after all.

Child maintenance is exempt from tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

Is there not a double taxation agreement in place between UK and Ireland? This income will have already been taxed in UK. Or does that not matter? I am only talking about maintenance for an ex-spouse, not child maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

Stheno wrote: »
    All spousal maintenance is subject to tax on the part of the person receiving it in Ireland, it's income all.

Only legally enforceable maintenance qualify for an income deduction in Ireland. Therefore only legally enforceable maintenance payments are taxed.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/deduction-for-maintenance-payments.html#section1

Thanks for that. This is is true but does not help answer to my question.

Assume the maintenance payments are legally enforced in the UK and tax has been paid in the UK where no tax deduction is allowed for maintenance payments. Are these UK taxed maintenance payments subject to further Irish tax if paid to an Irish tax resident?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Katzi wrote: »
    Thanks for that. This is is true but does not help answer to my question.

Assume the maintenance payments are legally enforced in the UK and tax has been paid in the UK where no tax deduction is allowed for maintenance payments. Are these UK taxed maintenance payments subject to further Irish tax if paid to an Irish tax resident?

I would imagine, expanding on my post above that the Revenue would treat it as income regardless of whether or not it has previously been subject to tax outside the jurisdiction.

As the other person is not subject to Irish tax to which the maintenance tax rules apply, I believe you are liable for tax on any spousal maintenance you receive here.

Having ended up on the wrong end of a revenue judgement about maintenance, I suggest you contact them asap to clarify it.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I most certainly will be taking their advice. Just trying to assemble as much background info as possible before talking to them.

Once different countries involved things can get very tricky and many many grey areas seem to emerge. Just when you thought it was safe to get back into the water..............

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

It appears that legally enforceable maintenance is taxable.

Advertisement