Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pay student contribution fee without grant

Options
  • 20-09-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey trying to find out if there is any help in payin for student contribution fees without the grant. The only reason i didnt get the grant because i missed the deadline day (didnt think i was goin to college then) I can get the btea allowance but this doesnt pay student fee. If any one has any information on any further grant or way to cover the student contribution fees Can you please reply anyy info would be a help its like a maze online Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You can still apply for the grant. They haven't fully closed applications.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 15 j21egan

You can still apply for the grant. They haven't fully closed applications.

Really I 5hought closing date was august first

j21egan wrote: »
    Really I 5hought closing date was august first

No

They are still accepting applications. This was posted on their facebook on 10th September and they answered queries upto yesterday
    We are still accepting applications for the 2013/2014 academic year. These will be reviewed after the applicants who applied before the closing date are finalised.

https://www.facebook.com/susisupport

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

thanks for that il apply for that as soon as possible cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20 skylady

Susi told me I don't qualify for special rate despite being below 22000 income threshold as none was social welfare - seems to be discriminating against those who earn the 22000 and don't claim social welfare ! No incentive there to low wage earners to stay in employment - better to claim social welfare.!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

thats unfair, surely they have to allow you the special rate. I thought once its below 22k no matter what you would get the special rate

bri007 wrote: »
    thats unfair, surely they have to allow you the special rate. I thought once its below 22k no matter what you would get the special rate

No

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Special rates of grants for disadvantaged students

Disadvantaged students who meet a number of conditions can qualify for a special rate of maintenance grant.

Applicants must have qualified for the standard maintenance grant for the academic year 2013-2014 and total reckonable income in the tax year January to December 2012 must not be more than €22,703, net of Qualified Child Increases and standard exclusions.

For students, including mature students, who are assessed on parent(s)/guardian's income, their parent(s)/guardian must, on 31 December 2012, have been:
    Claiming long-term social welfare payments, or
    Claiming Family Income Supplement or
    Participating in designated programmes (for example, a Community Employment Scheme).

These payments and programmes are listed in Schedule 2 of the Student Grant Scheme 2013 (pdf).

For students who are assessed on their own income, on 31 December 2012 the student must have been getting one of these social welfare payments or participating in a designated programme.

Terry Pratchet

ye that sounds really unfair and stupid. Especially the fact that people who don't qualify for the grant and btea still have to pay the student contribution fee I mean this is a huge chunk of money you have to fork out almost 3 grand and people who do get the grant dont have to worry about it because its paid for. I can't understand if you don't get the grant and have to fund college yourself why you still have to pay it from their money and people who are already helped by the grant don't.

Advertisement