Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for easy to use forum software

Options
  • 20-09-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi,

I'd like to set up a simple website and forum. I haven't a lot of experience in this area (set up a dreamweaver site with a database as part of a project last year) so I have some of the basics, but I'm really looking for the path of least resistance.

I have Linux hosting, and will use wordpress for the website. Wordpress has some forum software (http://bbpress.org/), which seems like it might do the job. The requirements for the forums are:

- Allow certain members access to specific areas (they should be hidden to others)
    - Be reasonably secure

Any advice on a simple solution?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

As it's based around WordPress and it's free, you've really got nothing to loose by setting it up and testing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

bbpress is really crappy when compared to alternatives.

I'd suggest SMF or MyBB, both open source and free

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Thanks for replies. Do these forum software require manually setting up databases? It's been a while since I've done it, and I'm hoping to get something up and running quickly.

Had a go with bbpress. Not overly impressed tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

you just need to create db and provide the details to the forum installer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Tried SMF. Vastly prefer it to bbPress. Thanks for suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

esoTalk looks really good http://esotalk.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mark8511

Hi

You can use wordpress for website and any other for forum, there is no problem in that, I hope most of hosting have an one click option to install a forum to your website and then you can customize that.

In this way you need not to create databases and you can setup a forum without any experience. Some of the most commonly forums used these days are as below:

vBulletin Forums

Simple Machines Forum

phpBB

bbPress

PunBB

Vanilla Forums

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

Take a look at Liferay Portal. It has a lot more features so it may be overkill for your needs.

Advertisement