Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best everyday black tights

Options
  • 20-09-2013 10:34am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need to completely restock my black tights because all my old ones are baggy and out of shape now. Which affordable tights do you recommend for everyday wear? I used to swear my M&S tights, but recently I feel they're not as good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Faith wrote: »
    I need to completely restock my black tights because all my old ones are baggy and out of shape now. Which affordable tights do you recommend for everyday wear? I used to swear my M&S tights, but recently I feel they're not as good.

I gave up buying cheap tights for this reason. I would recommend wolford for good quality that doesn't go out of shape. They are between €20 and €40 depending on the type you want. Quite expensive but they are so worth it as they last ages so are better value in the long run IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

For black opaque tights I think next are the best.
    I'm tall so dunnes are too short. Nothing more annoying than a mid thigh crotch

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I gave up buying cheap tights for this reason. I would recommend wolford for good quality that doesn't go out of shape. They are between €20 and €40 depending on the type you want. Quite expensive but they are so worth it as they last ages so are better value in the long run IMO

I'm unemployed so there's no way I could afford Wolford tights right now. They need to be cheap until I get a job :).

Lisha - YES! I hate droopy crotches. And I'm not even that tall.

I'm 5ft9 so not overly tall really but some tights are just too short

In dunnes the extra size are good as they are longer.
    But I think next wash better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Whenever i go back home i buy a few decent pairs in Dunnes; I'm only 5ft 5 but always buy L/XL pairs of tights, and nearly always have as I dont like ones that you have to stretch, and then they stay saggy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Some independent shops have Omsa tights. They are not that expensive but tgey are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 june collins

Marie Claire tights are my fav-- not only in opaques but in sheers as well. And I think are available in most Centras.
    A Polish lady used to have a lingerie shop near to me and she used to stock a super range of tights from Italy and eastern Europe, - for value, quality range of deniers and shades, they were the ultimate. But sadly, she fell victim to the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I wouldn't recommend Penneys :( Bought a 3 pack a few weeks ago, within hours of wear all 3 pairs were fit for the bin. Never had tights ladder so quickly before and I've been wearing tights daily since I was in primary school.

I think the ones I've gotten from Dunnes in the past were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

Have you tried the tights in Dorothy Perkins? I bought one pair last year to try out, now they're all I buy! They keep their shape and come in different denier's (from 60 up to 120). It's 2 packs for 10 euro at the moment too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I like the Tesco black tights, with the bright pink or blue writing on the black background packaging, they're a 3 pack. Tried penneys, dunnes, etc, all rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Have you tried FALKE tights? You can get them in BT, they are not as expensive as Wolford either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Falke are great. Btw if anybody travels to the continent and goes shopping, it is really worth visiting a hosiery shop (because of the cold winters they are everywhere). The choice is much better and there are usually some brands on sale. Sisi, Max Mara are another two brands that come to mind. But in generally it doesn't really matter which brand as long as they are proper hosiery producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I always wear extra undies over my tights, if I feel I'm due a saggy crotch situation :)

I always wear extra undies over my tights, if I feel I'm due a saggy crotch situation :)

I think you may have changed my life . .
    Sheer genius

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Lisha wrote: »
    I think you may have changed my life . .
    Sheer genius

:)

My mother gave me the tip!

Also, I Irish dance in shows, and we have to wear black "over knickers" over our tights to cover coloured "under knickers"!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Hand washing tights makes them last longer I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

mood wrote: »
    Hand washing tights makes them last longer I think.

Or stick them in your pillow cases when washing them :) Stops them from being stretched and/or laddered in the wash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I find the Andrea Bucci by Marie Claire tights the best by a mile. I get them in Dunnes.

I also hand-wash. They last a whole winter season no problem and I wear opaque tights every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

I like Marks & Spenser black tights they last really well. Don't really like the "shaper" part though.
    Love wolford but had a couple of pairs rip - it is just heartbreaking when you pay the price for them. They are good to buy in the winter sale at half price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭guillespe

Trasparenze tights are good if you can get them they have opagues in their range which are good,they have patterned ones pinstripe,stocking style and plain black opagues,solo in limerick used to stock them before they closed down,i think you could get them on ebay..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I've tried so many pairs of tights and my favourites are penny's support tights. They come in a single packet and are 5 or 6 euro and I think they're 60 or 80 denier. They don't ball or sag and they give you a great shape. Winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

http://www.clothingattesco.com/socks+hosiery/f+f-opaque-40-denier-shaper-tights/invt/ch239028/

I bought these last year and I have just seen them in again in limerick so picked up a few theres a nice feel to them and they dont sag or anything i think they were 6 euro each.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is a saggy crotch a sign that the tights are too small? I find when I wear a large size, they gather at the ankles in that incredibly ugly way because the legs are too long. I'm 5'5 so I'm right in the middle of guidelines for medium and large. Maybe it's just the brands I'm trying though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

is it possible to get tights that don't have a very high waist line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

I normally hate Penneys tights as I can't stand the waistline, but I got a 'velvet feel' pair last week and they're great. Great fit and really snug!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Cold Sore

Putting hair spray on the heel and toe makes tights last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Lightweight pantie-girdle/control panties does it for me.

Advertisement