Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE money PPI claim

Options
  • 19-09-2013 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi anyone have an update on miss sold ppi from ge money got a letter last year from pepper to say it was been investagated but nothing to date my loan was taken out in jan 2008

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Beckyboo1 wrote: »
    Hi anyone have an update on miss sold ppi from ge money got a letter last year from pepper to say it was been investagated but nothing to date my loan was taken out in jan 2008

all the banking institutions are doing reviews of this and have until the end of the year. They were starting with 2007, and working their way through so you should hear back from them by December at latest, but I'm sure you will hear back before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Beckyboo1 wrote: »

Don't trust them to get it done in time. If you think you may have been missold PPI get in touch with the financial ombudsman. There is a 6 year cut off - so if you wait til Jan 2014 you will be too late .
    See Here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-to-get-a-ppi-refund-in-ireland.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Ogham wrote: »
    Don't trust them to get it done in time. If you think you may have been missold PPI get in touch with the financial ombudsman. There is a 6 year cut off - so if you wait til Jan 2014 you will be too late .
    See Here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/how-to-get-a-ppi-refund-in-ireland.html

I don't know if the financial ombudsman will get involved unless you have already had a 'final response' from the institution. If you haven't and are only waiting on them to get back to you about a review, then the financial ombudsman won't deal with it. They only deal with complaints when an institution is not dealing with it or claiming they don't owe you anything. The institution has contacted the customer and said they are doing the review, so its really a waiting game after that. They won't ignore it or forget you. You can just ring GE or whichever institution and just ask when you are likely to hear back, they may have an idea of a timeframe. I did this with Permanent TSB and they were helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't know if the financial ombudsman will get involved unless you have already had a 'final response' from the institution. If you haven't and are only waiting on them to get back to you about a review, then the financial ombudsman won't deal with it. They only deal with complaints when an institution is not dealing with it or claiming they don't owe you anything. The institution has contacted the customer and said they are doing the review, so its really a waiting game after that. They won't ignore it or forget you. You can just ring GE or whichever institution and just ask when you are likely to hear back, they may have an idea of a timeframe. I did this with Permanent TSB and they were helpful.

Do not wait for the banks - they might not get back to you in time - especially if you are close to the 6 year limit .

The Ombudsman has stated (as quoted on that link above) that "if you were mis-sold a payment protection policy close to or 6 years before submitting the complaint, you may be time barred – it is important that you lodge your complaint with this office first and then you shall be redirected to the Provider."

Ogham wrote: »
    Do not wait for the banks - they might not get back to you in time - especially if you are close to the 6 year limit .

The Ombudsman has stated (as quoted on that link above) that "if you were mis-sold a payment protection policy close to or 6 years before submitting the complaint, you may be time barred – it is important that you lodge your complaint with this office first and then you shall be redirected to the Provider."

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that. I have a complaint in with the ombudsman and was told by them I had to have put in a complaint with the bank first & have received a 'final response' from them for them to continue with an investigation. They are currently investigating one with MBNA/Avant Card for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement