Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Apprenticeship

Options
  • 20-09-2013 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there, I'm going for a tattoo apprenticeship. I'm currently on Social Welfare. My question is. Should I tell the social about it? If I could I would work part time to get by. Just thought possible it may work along the same lines as as internship? Stuck on what to do :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Might be best to ask this in the State Benefits forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

Have you actually got an apprenticeship lined up or are you still looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Hi there, I'm going for a tattoo apprenticeship. I'm currently on Social Welfare. My question is. Should I tell the social about it? If I could I would work part time to get by. Just thought possible it may work along the same lines as as internship? Stuck on what to do :(

You'll have to because you wont be available for full time work...or just say nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 33 K.r.a.t.o.S

In an apprenticeship you're not enrolled in any full-time official course....so technically you could drop it at any point if you found a job, so I don't see how you could be classed as 'unavailable for work'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

In an apprenticeship you're not enrolled in any full-time official course....so technically you could drop it at any point if you found a job, so I don't see how you could be classed as 'unavailable for work'.

You have to be actively seeking work. If you're doing anything full time, be it official or not, you're not considered to be available for, and actively seeking, full time employment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    You have to be actively seeking work. If you're doing anything full time, be it official or not, you're not considered to be available for, and actively seeking, full time employment.

Even volunteering full time for a charity can mean you lose your social welfare payments.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Even volunteering full time for a charity can mean you lose your social welfare payments.

Unless you get prior permission from welfare, which they generally give for volunteering.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Unless you get prior permission from welfare, which they generally give for volunteering.

That a new rule?

I know a couple of people that got cut off and couldn't get permission as they "weren't available for work"

Hellrazer wrote: »
    That a new rule?

I know a couple of people that got cut off and couldn't get permission as they "weren't available for work"

Fairly new, yeah, but it's only granted in exceptional circumstances because they have initiatives like job bridge and tus for inexperienced people now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 xprnc

Yes, tell the SW, and they'll tell you that's no problem at all, as long as you're still looking for full-time job.

If you say nothing it's too risky

Advertisement