Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro-Palestinian demonstration in Dublin

Options
  • 19-09-2013 10:38pm
    Site Banned Posts: 7

I'm in the middle of organising a pro-Palestinian demonstration in Dublin City Centre to highlight the plight of the downtrodden Palestinian people. This issue does not get nearly enough coverage in Irish media. Would there be any appetite for such a demonstration on this board?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

What about the existing Irish orgs that support the Palestinians?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

I'm in the middle of organising a pro-Palestinian demonstration in Dublin City Centre to highlight the plight of the downtrodden Palestinian people. This issue does not get nearly enough coverage in Irish media. Would there be any appetite for such a demonstration on this board?

The Syrians aint got it so good atm either. Donate to a charity like the red cross or do aid work if you want to make an actual difference

• Site Banned Posts: 7 No_New_Friends

@HansHolzel

I'm hesitant to get involved with the other Palestinian groups in Ireland as they appear to hate Israel more than they love Palestinians. I'm not interested in being a propaganda pawn - I just want to help struggling civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I just want to help struggling civilians.

so why not help your countrymen instead of worrying about those thousands of km away?

@Cookie_Monster

Fair point, but I don't think the Irish need any help. Unlike the misery vampires that hog the national airwaves, I don't buy for a second that the Irish are struggling like the Palestinians are. When you are homeless, hungry, and in fear of your life then we can make a comparison.

• Advertisement

In what way do you want to help them? Materially or legally, to give two areas of assistance?

I want to educate them on basics of a good diet and exercise. Did you know that the Palestinian territories have some of the highest obesity rates in the world? They need to put down the kebabs and pick up the broccoli.

See table attached for obesity rates http://www.israelwhat.com/2010/04/04/is-obesity-still-a-problem-in-gaza/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Fair point, but I don't think the Irish need any help. Unlike the misery vampires that hog the national airwaves, I don't buy for a second that the Irish are struggling like the Palestinians are. When you are homeless, hungry, and in fear of your life then we can make a comparison.

There are millions of people throughout the world who are homeless, hungry and in fear of their life. The content of Africa is littered with such people, unfortunately. The Syrian people are in dire need of support, as you probably know. Millions have been displaced as a result of the conflict. What is so special about the Palestinians?

Palestine gets more than it's fair share of coverage in this country, given it's size, population and distance from us.

I want to educate them on basics of a good diet and exercise. Did you know that the Palestinian territories have some of the highest obesity rates in the world? They need to put down the kebabs and pick up the broccoli.

See table attached for obesity rates http://www.israelwhat.com/2010/04/04/is-obesity-still-a-problem-in-gaza/

Erm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4uvwiYbRgw

@HansHolzel

With all due respect, I don't have 40mins to watch a Youtube video. What's your point?

• Advertisement

@HansHolzel

With all due respect, I don't have 40mins to watch a Youtube video. What's your point?

It's just Anthony Bourdain doing a food tour of Israel/Palestine and covering a lot more besides.

Not sure how that's relevant to my thread. Are you disputing my figures sourced from The Economist which shows that obesity is a serious problem among the Palestinians? Second question: Would you personally come to my demonstration in support of Palestine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Second question: Would you personally come to my demonstration in support of Palestine?

What is going to make your demo different from any other pro-Palestinian demo?

Not sure how that's relevant to my thread. Are you disputing my figures sourced from The Economist which shows that obesity is a serious problem among the Palestinians? Second question: Would you personally come to my demonstration in support of Palestine?

A demo about Palestinian obesity? Slán.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

Gets way too much coverage,

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

COYW wrote: »
    What is going to make your demo different from any other pro-Palestinian demo?

There will be free nachos for all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

@HansHolzel

Watch from 27 minutes onwards and stop peddling your bull**** Israeli propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭claypigeon777

The Palestinians want to overthrow the Israeli state, conquer Israeli territory and murder or expel ever last Jewish man women and child.

I've no love for Israel - the idea of setting up a Jewish state in 1948 was f*cking mental. The Palestinians should not have had to pay the price for Europe's inability to live side by side with Jews.

However Israel is established for decades now, millions of Jews live there and they are armed to the teeth and they aren't going anywhere.
    The Jews who lived there don't want to live anywhere else because the lesson of the Holocaust is the foundation ideology of their state.

If you want to help the Palestinians then you should support a two state solution so that two democratic states can live side by side.

The only problem is the Palestinians are not interested in democracy or peace of any kind unless it gives them breathing space to prepare for the next round of warfare.

The Israelis will never trust the Arabs because they will always fear a new attack and will try to preempt it.
    The lesson of the 1973 surprise attack when Israel was nearly wiped off the face of the earth of Egypt and Syria still lingers 40 years on.

So this war will go on and on and on until either Israel is destroyed and all the Jews die in a Second Holocaust or else all the Arabs agree to leave the West Bank and Gaza or else just maybe both sides will live in peace.

As far as foreigners go unless you are in support of Palestine or Israel they don't want to know you.

So f*ck them both.

They are stupid idiotic people and their stupid wars have nothing to do with us in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Palestinians want to overthrow the Israeli state, conquer Israeli territory and murder or expel ever last Jewish man women and child.

You do realise that the largest Palestinian faction supports the two state solution?

Nodin wrote: »
    You do realise that the largest Palestinian faction supports the two state solution?

If you believe that you are deluding yourself.

The Palestinian birth rate outstrips the Israeli birth rate and the numbers of Jews coming to Israel. The Israeli population is getting older and will shrink year on year as the number of young Jews of fighting age falls. American power in the Mid East is ebbing and Islamism is on the rise.

The Palestinian's ultimate aim is to reconquer what were once Muslim lands and butcher every last one of the Jews.

You clearly know nothing about what Palestinians really think.

• Advertisement

If you believe that you are deluding yourself..

It's a fact. It's been the position for many years now.

The Palestinian's ultimate aim is to reconquer what were once Muslim lands and butcher every last one of the Jews.

You clearly know nothing about what Palestinians really think.

That strikes me as a rather hysterical generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

@HansHolzel

I'm hesitant to get involved with the other Palestinian groups in Ireland as they appear to hate Israel more than they love Palestinians. I'm not interested in being a propaganda pawn - I just want to help struggling civilians.

I think this particular approach,in the Irish context,was described by Brendan Behan in terms like...."The first item on any Irish Republican agenda....The Split"....so I see little different in this approach.....:confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Nodin wrote: »
    It's a fact. It's been the position for many years now.

The Palestinians believe with some justification that the demographics are on their side and that the Jewish state cannot be sustained.
    They are only talking peace now for tactical reasons so they can consolidate their position and prepare for the next war from a position of strength.
    That strikes me as a rather hysterical generalisation.

You've never heard the chant "From the River To The Sea? Palestine Will Be Free!"

The Palestinians believe with some justification that the demographics are on their side and that the Jewish state cannot be sustained.

Again, nonsense. Numbers count little against a nuclear first world level power.
    They are only talking peace now for tactical reasons so they can consolidate their position and prepare for the next war from a position of strength.

They've talked peace a number of times. You might be more specific as regards what would constitute them 'consolidating' their position, and how they'd achieve a "position of strength".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Do you think the Palestinians develop these compulsions to butcher Jews by means of some sort signal emanating from a 'mother brain'?

Surely all that butchering just wouldn't be kosher?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement