Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help reading gravestone inscription please

Options
  • 19-09-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hope some of you eagle-eyed posters might be able to help me read this gravestone :) Can't seem to copy the image to get a better look at it.

Here

The man down the end of the stone, Denis Duggan, is my relative so I'd love to know what the rest of it says. I can make out 'Sullivan' which I know is a name in the family.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Alicat wrote: »
    Hope some of you eagle-eyed posters might be able to help me read this gravestone :) Can't seem to copy the image to get a better look at it.

Here

The man down the end of the stone, Denis Duggan, is my relative so I'd love to know what the rest of it says. I can make out 'Sullivan' which I know is a name in the family.

Have you tried taking a charcoal rubbing of it? Might make it easier to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

If I wasn't all the way up in Dublin, I would! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

Erected by
    Mary Sullivan alias Callaghan
    In memory of her beloved husband
    J..... late of Coribally
    .... and .... her ....
    who departed? .....

That's as far as I could get. Corbally had 2 Sullivan households in 1901 and 1911.

If I wasn't all the way up in Dublin, I would! :)

Where in Dublin is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

bumper234 wrote: »
    Where in Dublin is it?

The OP is in Dublin. The graveyard is in Cork, near Buttevant and Mallow.

• Advertisement

bumper234 wrote: »
    Have you tried taking a charcoal rubbing of it? Might make it easier to read.

I always find white flour best.

mod9maple wrote: »
    The OP is in Dublin. The graveyard is in Cork, near Buttevant and Mallow.

My apologies i misread, Maybe a friendly bordsie in Cork who may be close could help op out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I have found a splash of water works wonders in reading old gravestones. If you know someone who could visit the grave with a spray bottle of plain water, or on a rainy day. I had the same problem recently and it worked wonders. The words appeared like magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I have found a splash of water works wonders in reading old gravestones. If you know someone who could visit the grave with a spray bottle of plain water, or on a rainy day. I had the same problem recently and it worked wonders. The words appeared like magic!

A can of the cheapest shaving foam works wonders - spray it thinly on the stone and then use a cloth to wipe it off. The foam will remain in any indentation and inscriptions can easily be read.

Erected by
    Mary Sullivan alias Callaghan
    In memory of her beloved husband
    J..... late of Coribally
    .... and .... her ....
    who departed? .....

That's as far as I could get. Corbally had 2 Sullivan households in 1901 and 1911.

Oh I hate getting a Mary! Nightmare to track them down with a name as common as Mary. Thank you for that!

Good tips everyone, seasoned graveyard hunters I see :)

• Advertisement

I always find white flour best.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I have found a splash of water works wonders in reading old gravestones.
    lottpaul wrote: »
    A can of the cheapest shaving foam works wonders - spray it thinly on the stone and then use a cloth to wipe it off.

A caveat - this issue causes great controversy across the genealogical world. Look it up - there are a lot of arguments! :eek:

Many argue against using any substance on the headstone; some even argue against rubbings on very old ones. Apparently the safest method is using tin foil. Or extreme light.

The comments section after this blog post is well worth reading. After that, it's up to each individual as to how to proceed.

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2011/08/controversy-how-to-read-unreadable-tombstones.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We should also be considerate of what the caretakers of the graveyard will allow. I have only used water because the stones get wet with rain anyway and it can't do any harm and no-one would ban me from the graveyard for using it. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A caveat - this issue causes great controversy across the genealogical world. Look it up - there are a lot of arguments! :eek:

Many argue against using any substance on the headstone; some even argue against rubbings on very old ones. Apparently the safest method is using tin foil. Or extreme light.

The comments section after this blog post is well worth reading. After that, it's up to each individual as to how to proceed.

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2011/08/controversy-how-to-read-unreadable-tombstones.html
    And a well timed caveat too.
    Headstones are priceless and vulnerable documents - adding any substance could increase the pace of erosion or encourage the growth of algae and/or lichens, making the inscription more difficult to read in the future.
    Repeated rubbings could also have long term consequences.
    Without doubt the best way to read a headstone is to get there a little before the sun is at 90º to the east face of the stone (the inscription is supposed to be on the side facing the rising sun).
    The Heritage Council has an excellent publication on the care of (historic) graveyards, for anyone interested in the subject.
    http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/archaeology/publications/article/archaeological-features-at-risk-a-survey-measuring-recent-destruction-of-irelands-archaeological/?L=0%2Fgrants%2Farchitecture-research-gbant%2Fbuildings-at-ris..&tx_ttnews

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

slowburner wrote: »
    Without doubt the best way to read a headstone is to get there a little before the sun is at 90º to the east face of the stone (the inscription is supposed to be on the side facing the rising sun).
    I can second that, as I once observed by chance that the morning sun shining on an old gravestone greatly enhances its legibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Here

Have you looked at this website which contains details of lots of gravestones. It seems to cover Cork pretty well.

http://historicgraves.com/graveyards

Yup, that's the site that I linked to in my first post! :)

Advertisement