Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old fashioned 'Edison' lightbulbs, available in Dublin or online somewhere?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

or similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

Auscast wrote: »
    We're moving into a new rental property with some old light fittings, and I'm noticing more of these kinds of bulbs in hotels and restaurants these days. Is there anywhere around Dublin / Bray that sells these retail?
    http://fancy.com/things/137957024733338905/Large-Squirrel-Cage-Filament-Light-Bulb.-40W.-220-240V-from-Bouf.com

http://www.lampsandlights.co.uk/moredetails.php?ref=lb004(es)

Cheers, I wonder if cheaper options are locally available. These are pretty easy to find on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, is it the filiament that distinguishes what you're looking for or the fitting? An 'Edison screw' describes the fitting which has a thread like a screw i.e. you screw in the bulb until it goes tight in the fitting whereas the bayonet fitting is where you shove the bulb against the springs and turn about 1/4 clockwise to make it engage.

Most of the Solus and Ozram bulbs in the shops have bayonet fittings whereas most of the lamps they sell in Ikea have Edison Screw (ES) fittings.

Your title simply mentions 'Edison' which is the descriptor for the fitting, not the shape of the bulb or what type of filiament it contains. The bulbs in the link you supplied actualy have bayonet fittings.

Yes, it is the bulb and filament style I'm talking about. Apologies for any confusion.
    I assumed the term Edison was part of the 'Antique' tag. And, I'm probably looking for both fittings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 noel69

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Auscast wrote: »
    Yes, it is the bulb and filament style I'm talking about. Apologies for any confusion.
    I assumed the term Edison was part of the 'Antique' tag. And, I'm probably looking for both fittings.

Stillorgan Decor have that filament style in their lighting section - dunno about the exact shape though although it wasn't that dissimilar to the one in your picture.

Got one before in the lighting shop in the Egan Centre on the Upper Dargle Road too.

Advertisement