Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GameStop Pre-Order Problem! *Urgent*

Options
  • 19-09-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

So a while back I decided to start saving up for the PS4, I put in 20e a week but after 2 weeks I changed my mind. I paid cash. I went into the store to ask to get my money back and they said that according to their policy I can not get my money back. That I can either buy something with it or change pre-order, so that was that.
    Today, I went to the store to pick-up Grand Theft Auto V, I had the receipt of the preorder with another 25e to buy the game. The guy told me that the only thing I can do with that preorder is change it to a different console/game. A lot of people on different forums say otherwise, that you can infact get your money back or buy something with it. So is the guy in the store lying? I'm not interested in any games coming out soon, nor the console, does that mean my money is gone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

In my experience, they don't have to give a refund. You preordered it, which I imagine is the same as placing a deposit - that said I've never had issues transferring payment from a preorder to another item, so look to speak with the manager or a different staff member.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Excesiiv

Thank you for a quick reply, so should I go back to the store? A lot of people online are saying that they got their money back no problem, I feel really cheated right now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

From a former Gamestop employee (not me, a friend):
    Pre-order with cash, you can get cash refund.
    Pre-order on card, you get Gamestop Gift card.

What store were you in?

Cork City Center, Patrick Street. The one there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I reckon you should go back in and talk to someone higher up, as chrislad suggested.

• Advertisement

I've read on other forums that for canceling pre-orders they get negative points which mean less pay. Now refusing to do it would be illegal is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

why not sell the ps4 preorder? im sure you would have no trouble in cork

It has both my name and phone number on it, it's not completely paid off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

im sure they can change the name and number pretty easily on the preorder and sell it for whatever you have paid off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

You have paid cash, yet received no goods. Most stores will allow change of mind with a physical item within 28 days once returned as new and with proof of purchase. You have not received any goods, yet they have your cash. You have proof of purchase and are 'returning' nothing. Ask to speak to a manager, if the manager refuses to bend simply ask for the head office number. I honestly can't see you not getting a full refund or at the very least a gamestop giftcard to the value of the preorder.

The last thing they want is a loss of sale, the very last thing they want is bad press or a complaint to head office. Just be polite and ask to see the manager. Best of luck dude.

EDIT: Sony have stopped all preorders in europe for the PS4 (as far as I know), you might be able to sell that preorder for a profit. Supply and demand and all that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

From a former Gamestop employee (not me, a friend):
    Pre-order with cash, you can get cash refund.
    Pre-order on card, you get Gamestop Gift card.

What store were you in?

That's what they told me when I pre-ordered BF3 and something else I don't remember.

Okay, so I went to a different store and I told them that I want to cancel my pre-order and his reply was "No problem."
    I gave him my phone number, he called up the store I pre-ordered in and told me to go there. They did it without any hassle. Now is there any reason why they would refuse so many times?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Best thing to do is call their head office, explain the problem and the branch you're working with. I've had issues around returns before (product faulty within first 12 months) and the moment it became apparent to them that I was willing to escalate the matter they were suddenly very accommodating and I was getting phone calls from the local branch offering me a replacement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Excesiiv wrote: »
    I've read on other forums that for canceling pre-orders they get negative points which mean less pay. Now refusing to do it would be illegal is that right?
    Nope; they are in their full right to not refund you because you changed your mind and paid a deposit. Basic consumer law; you got no rights if you change your mind basically.

Nody wrote: »
    Nope; they are in their full right to not refund you because you changed your mind and paid a deposit. Basic consumer law; you got no rights if you change your mind basically.

Not entirely sure but I think thats only if you have received the goods. In that case if the game was canceled outright they would still have the right to hold onto your cash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Danonino. wrote: »
    Not entirely sure but I think thats only if you have received the goods. In that case if the game was canceled outright they would still have the right to hold onto your cash.
    Two different situations; if the game is cancelled the product simply don't exist to be delivered which means all items are returned to each party and the trade is null and void.

Nody wrote: »
    Two different situations; if the game is cancelled the product simply don't exist to be delivered which means all items are returned to each party and the trade is null and void.

But the person who has payed the deposit has not received any goods. Only an agreement to collect goods at a later date by paying a fee (or purchasing it outright). The trade made so far is a contract true, a guarantee of availability in exchange for cash.
    But
    Unless stated in writing (on the receipt for example) or verbally confirmed to you when you made the deposit that its non refundable then you are entirely in your right to ask for your money back as that was not a part of the agreement. Now you can probably be safe to bet that somewhere in the fine print there is protection for the company but Consumer Law gets very hazey when nothing has actually been received by the customer outside of a collection date. If it was stated in writing or verbally then... well, you really should know the answer.

In my past experience staff are pushed to try convince a customer to transfer the deposit to another item, then to a credit note and finally if they still are not satisfied a full refund. But its very rare that a company would make stand on such a petty amount of cash. The risk of bad press, or just that customer moving elsewhere is a threat. Returning customers are a far greater priority than one (or even multiple) sales.

Advertisement